Monday, January 16, 2006

if i were a gay man, he'd be my soulmate...

i'm shopping with justy and we're waiting on the corner for a light to change on our way to pier 1. i see a woman holding a something wrapped in brown paper with butcher's string tied around it. and because i'm a loser, i start to sing in my head "brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things..." as we finish our walk, the rest of my internal monologue goes something like this: "i haven't seen that movie in ages. i wonder if they have one of those sound of music sing-alongs out here. i wouldn't dare bring work boyfriend with me. but i bet justy would come..."

moments later we step into pier 1. looking around i ask him "so where do we start?" "well," he says, and putting his index finger to his lips in mock "deep-thought" he starts to sing, "let's start at the very beginning..."

i'm shocked. can he really read my mind? how did he know i was already silently doing a one woman show of "the sound of music" in my head?!

"did you see last week's will and grace?"
"no, was it good?"
"well, taye diggs was on."
"no!!"
"and they were going to a sound of music sing-along."
"no!!!! i was just thinking about sound of music sing-alongs!"*

justin hilariously recounted what sounded like it might have been the funniest will and grace episode EVER. and i missed it. anyone have it on tape? but more importantly, it's so good to have a friend to share my dorky qualities with.

"Perhaps I had a wicked childhood
Perhaps I had a miserable youth
But somwhere in my wicked, miserable past
There must have been a moment of truth

For here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not you should
So somewhere in my youthful childhood,
I must have done something good"

*i'm thinking this may be the first time ever this sentence has been uttered in the history of the world.

13 people who played with me:

Blogger Joe said...

"...raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..."

Have you heard the Stanley Jordan version of My Favorite Things? Brilliant.

1/16/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Musicals are hot.

I went to a Sing-Along Moulin Rouge. It was awesome...

1/16/2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

dude, sound of music singalong? i'm dorky enough to love that stuff, too.

and there are few things better in this world than an awesome friend who will tell you the truth about how you look in your new jeans, scope out the hotties with you, give you advice about how men think and sing along with you to the radio. mine made up a song about how much he misses me on my voicemail that just made my day.

1/16/2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger MONOTONE MARY said...

HA. Great post.
Only thing better than that is singing "Daydream believer" in the car with 3 very different people.
And one of them who CANNOT carry a tune to save his life.
Why must all the best ones be gay?!?

1/16/2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger Nadia said...

I do this CONSTANTLY. Are you sure that's not my internal monologue you're quoting? I sang Liesl's song obsessively the week before my birthday last year. Going for authenticity you know.

1/16/2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

Our problem (my friends and I) is singing old eighties rock at the top of our lungs, very poorly, when we're stup in a car for an extended period. It makes a Japanese Kareoke Bar at 2AM look like a model of harmony.

And I do always wonder what people are carrying when the package is wrapped and tied. A few shops here in Seattle still do it the old way, where one pull of the string unwraps the whole thing. Badass.

1/16/2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

I love sound of music, and do-re-mi and my favourite things are totally my two favourite songs on that movie.

I have that ESP thing going with Nadia too. I can understand its wicked awesomeness. *and I can vouch for her singing the LIesl song. Its our one complaint of turning 18, is that we can no longer sing "16 going on 17"*

1/16/2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

jazz i saw that W&G and immediately thought of you!! i cant believe you missed it!!!

1/17/2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger browser58 said...

And it never stops, you just re-write slightly, "I am sixty-three, going on sixty-four ...."

Of course I frequently find myself singing verses to songs out of the "B" musical movies of the forties. "Penthouse Serenade" anyone? Ha, that will have Google burning up.

1/17/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks- yet AGAIN you got a song stuck in my head- and i'm not a good singer!

1/18/2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger dannydontgo said...

If I were a gay boot, I'd be a pump, or some shit like that.

1/18/2006 5:08 PM  
Blogger •♥•m•♥• said...

have you seen the movie with Patricia Arquette and Don Johnson where she is a real estate agent who starts her day by singing sound of music songs under the covers ....then becomes a latex wearing costume Freakydeaky in the houses shes showing ??? Great movie..... M

1/19/2006 1:27 AM  
Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Your imitation is better than the real thing. Nice colour scheme and geometry. And nice legs too.

1/19/2006 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home