Tuesday, December 27, 2005

christmas, a week in review

first for the big news! my best friend got engaged! she broke the news to me by sending me, via phone, a picture of her ring (beautiful) and when i called her to freak out about it the first thing she said was, "jazz! we're getting married!!!" and by "we" she meant she and i. so needless to say, i have some major event planning ahead of me. they're thinking next may. i'm thinking how happy i am to have full reign of what the bridesmaids dresses are going to be so that maybe i won't have to hate it. or hate her for making me wear it. huzzah!

a good friend from law school also is recently engaged. am thinking how happy i am that i won't be standing up in this wedding because my pocketbook is already feeling empty with thoughts of kate's nuptials.

before i went to CA we had the office holiday party. it was hilarious. our supervisors (all older than us, though none of them over 36) put the rest of us to shame when it came to dancing and drinking themselves silly. i have pictures of hot boss-man being carried around on the shoulders of two staff attorneys. i'm going to blow one up big and stick it in hot boss-man's office.

re: work boyfriend...he came out and told me he liked me. i warned him that i'm not an easy person to date and he seemed up for the challenge. the problem is that i like my own time. i like at least one weekend night for myself to party with the girls. i don't want the guy to call all the time. in fact, no more than twice a week unless it's absolutely necessary. this seeing him 40 hours a week thing does not bode well in that respect. i told him i'd need to get to know him MUCH better before i could make the decision to make something of this. all the while, we're getting wasted. i vaguely remember running my hands through his hair and him planting a kiss on my neck and then there are some fuzzy missing parts. however, i'm pretty certain that that's as far as it went. the tail end of the night is clear in my memory. i also remember how i got home which, though it shouldn't be, is something i'm proud of. a girl i used to work with at the soho house was working at the bar and did some serious damage hooking us up after the 3 hour open bar was over. this place is right around the corner from work so i'll probably be back more times than is healthy. damn those evil gods of temptation...those ones we call bartenders.

hope everyone had as nice a christmas as i did. it was quiet, relaxing and warm. i was in CA at my mom's and those of you in so.cal know how gorgeous the weather was. but now i'm back in cold new york working late nights all week but won't make that much overtime becuase we had monday off. we won't break the 40 hour mark by nearly as much. curses!

while home my brother took it upon himself to make me "cool." i won't deny my own dorkyness but i like to think i'm not a total nerd. he would beg to differ. i knew there was trouble brewing when last week he called to say that he had to take me shopping for my christmas present, that he wanted to "get me some cool clothes" but needed me there to make sure they fit.

my grand makeover started in the car on the way home from the airport. he played all the new bands he's listening to (all indy punk emo something or other) and gave me the cd out of his car so i could get myself better acquainted. the next day he taught me how to drive stick shift. i'm not great at it, and it scared the crap out of me whenever another car approached, but if it were a life or death situation i think i could manage. then we went shopping. an AC/DC shirt and some black shirt with some eagle on it and funky seams were winners. i almost went home with a seatbelt belt and a wallet made of duct tape but cut him off as i'm pretty certain i wouldn't have used either. if he'd really had his way, i'd have come home tattooed. i'm sure that's his long term goal for me.

ken also introduced me to the joys of katamari. there are no guns. no blood. no violence. the game consists solely of this teeny guy who picks things up and rolls them together to make a huge balls of stuff. he starts out only being able to pick up tiny things like thumbtacks. then graduates to small children. then to cars. then skyscrapers. the nuances and details of this game are indescribable. it's just quirky and weird and a total riot. i couldn't get enough.

can you tell sense the increased coolness level here at jazz...in strange places? i'm feelin' it...

8 people who played with me:

Blogger -G.D. said...

you've always been cool...but now you are much cooler.

I want a KISS shirt badly.

12/28/2005 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life seems to be moving along swimmingly. . .
Re the pre-dating qualifier: recently, I was in the pre-kissing moment and said, "I think you're getting ready to kiss me and, before you do, I think I should probably let you know that I'm kind of a mess."
I think I might get that printed on a t-shirt or something. . .

12/28/2005 9:56 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Anybody who thinks Indy music is cool because its Indy is lame...I think I'm gonna write a post about Indy music now.

12/28/2005 11:22 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

So now you're on your way to being a indy punk emo something or other girl? heh. Good luck with that. (snicker)

12/28/2005 5:08 PM  
Blogger MONOTONE MARY said...

Awghhh.
Seat belt belts are sooooo cheesy.

12/28/2005 5:30 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

jaz, congrats on your best friend's wedding. i'm in the same boat myself, so we must commiserate as the months wear on.

smart to take the boy thing slow, and damn good luck about the bar.

as far as little brothers go, you were a good sport. my little brother thinks i'm the supreme of uncool. (but i'm convinced that secretly he's jealous of my 'i love dorks' wristband.)

12/28/2005 9:14 PM  
Blogger The Seeker said...

Yeah, free drinks is a bitch... lol

I'd love to hit NY with you. I have a feeling it would be a real eye opener.

12/28/2005 11:12 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Yay! Congratulations to your friends on their engagements. And huzzah for picking out the dress! Glad to hear your celebrations went well, and best of luck to your brother. I wouldn't have the patience you do.

12/29/2005 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home