Tuesday, December 20, 2005

how to deal

how to deal with a transit workers strike? pack a bag and crash at a friend's place in hoboken so you can take the new jersey PATH train in. heck yeah!

so not only was i at work on time, i made it in early to do some christmas shopping at discount designer heaven, century 21. this is something i kept secret at the office where several people actually made the walk across the brooklyn bridge, in the freezing cold, to get to work.

i've also discovered the beauty of corporate waste. if we have to stay more than an hour late, NOT ONLY are we making bank in overtime, they buy us dinner and pay for cars home. yesterday i had my car take me up to washington heights to pack a bag and then over to hoboken. afraid that this was an abuse of the service he told me it was his job to take me wherever i wanted. please, please, don't let me get used to this...i sense that there's no turning back once i do.

"jeeves, take me to the market. and then bloomingdales. and then otto. and then home to the chalet please!"

and let it be noted that the guy who sweeps up garbage in the subway has a higher base salary ($45K) than nyc police officers ($25K) and public school teachers ($31K) and wants a 24% raise over three years. note also that his pension is something that most people would dream of and he doesn't pay a dime for health care...yet strike he must? i'm a fan of unions and appreciate their ability to assemble and assert their rights, but i don't get this one. it seems a bit selfish but here's to hoping they hash it out sooner rather than later!

15 people who played with me:

Blogger Joe said...

First comment? That never happens to me!

Ok, now I'm going to go read the post.

12/20/2005 11:46 PM  
Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

all i could read was "it was 20 degrees this morning while people walked across the brooklyn bridge to work."

my god, these people have guilt trips for the next 50 years on their kids: "Did you know about the transit strike, son? Nope, well, I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge...every day...in the snow...into the city...where I walked another 20 miles to get to work!"

glad to hear about your new wheels. ask jeeves if he can drop me off at The Strand for some needless book buying.

12/20/2005 11:52 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

An hour of overtime gets you a chauffeured car? Crazy.

12/20/2005 11:53 PM  
Blogger tiredbutnotsleepy.blogspot.com said...

OOooh, yeah, could definately get used to the car service!! Have you read The Devil Wears Prada? Reminds me of that.

So are you sure about the teacher salary? Because I have researched it, and I thought it was more...I am looking for a position there for next fall.

Holy crap, I can't believe that make that much and they are striking!!! Officers are not paid enough by any means!!

12/21/2005 12:11 AM  
Blogger SnowQueen said...

Lucky! makes me kinda want to be a lawyer if it weren't for the fact i got an art degree to piss off my parents oh well

12/21/2005 5:13 AM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

we'll see if it's all worth it, after all those fines.

crazy, but having a driver...that's nice!

12/21/2005 9:03 AM  
Blogger iluvnyc said...

damn! it's too late for me to change my major... :D

12/21/2005 9:31 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

I hate unions. They are ridiculous and unnecessary...especially when they consist largely of assholes who want huge raises for pushing a lever back and forth all day. Don't get me started.

You had a CAR SERVICE and you didn't offer to pick me up and take me out on the town? I am thoroughly disappointed.

By the way, I went to Lunessa last night and got some stuff. I just hope I picked out something good...

12/21/2005 10:37 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

well coming from a woman who lives in a city where our mass transit is more prone to just moving criminals around the city, i envy the city of NY. sorry if that sounds mean, but well i wish our transit system would go on strike. :O)

but seriously i DO hope they come to their senses. i have been watching this coverage on the news and its just NUTS!!

12/21/2005 10:57 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

we really need to pay our teachers more. it's pathetic.

but private car? that sounds pretty damn sweet, jaz.

12/21/2005 10:27 PM  
Blogger The Seeker said...

For the sake of NY, I hope they solve it quickly.

12/22/2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger jodifosterturkeybaster said...

oh jazz. Big city livin must be such a challenge. I can't remember the last time I saw a taxi in my town. Actually I can, and I was in the trunk. Nevermind.

12/23/2005 4:08 PM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

I was waiting for your take on this... I'm glad you think they're full of shit.

Thank God it's over before Christmas.

12/23/2005 8:13 PM  
Blogger SnowQueen said...

Happy christmas eve yay 9 and a half hours to go!!! woohoo!!

12/23/2005 8:30 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Merry Christmas. I hope you had a great one.

12/26/2005 1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home