Wednesday, August 31, 2005

my temporary home sweet home

thanks for the birthday wishes y'all. it was actually very low key but also lovely. it was a good day. adonis called to wish me a happy one and left the cutest message. he's moving to hoboken on friday/sat and i'll be here till the middle of next week i think, so [crossing fingers] hopefully i'll see him soon. i'll sure as hell hint at it a million times, at least.

so i'm staying at my dear friend alex's house. she's one of my best friends from college. she is just amazing, i have to say. she has been there for me at every moment that mattered. when the ex and i broke up (after a 5 year relationship), she was there. when someone broke into my car the next day she left work to come comfort me. she has been my one source of stability in college and out in this city whenever i've needed it.

so of course when i was homeless she was the first person to say, "you're staying at mine. i don't want another word about it." i told myself i wouldn't stay with any friend for more than a week (as i have nine other friends who have already volunteered their homes). i'm imposing enough, i shouldn't stay for more than a week anywhere. but alex is insisting i stay the month if i have to. that's just the way she is.

she's the kind of person that makes every place feel like home. she's totally silly and full of her mother's crazy maxims. she's from dallas and will make you black eyed peas and brown sugar bacon and cheddar cheese grits.

so i'm comfortable and happy here but i know i can't stay forever. in fact, she makes it really hard to judge when i'll have overstayed my welcome. i've seen no good apartments lately. i went to a place yesterday that had eleven bedrooms. yes, eleven. one bathroom. solamente uno. funny how they failed to mention that in their ad...i wonder why...

my best friend kate always makes a place feel like home too. she's in chicago though. also, she forgot my birthday but it's the first time ever i think (ignoring all the years she convinced herself it was the 31st and not the 30th), so i'll forgive her. i'm also leaving my anonymity behind a bit. i've told my close friends in chicago about the blog because it's the best way for them to keep up with my life. also, since i almost never see them i don't have any reason to trash talk them here and thus, to hide the blog from them. everyone say hello to jasmine's chicago friends [waving] who probably won't comment much, but read, i hope they will.

17 people who played with me:

Blogger Syar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/01/2005 1:03 AM  
Blogger Syar said...

Happy belated, Jazz. I didn't know, *looks sheepish* but I hope this still counts.

*waves at Jazz's chicago friends* Hallo!

alex sounds great. cheddar cheese grits? the stuff true friendships are made off.

9/01/2005 1:03 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I jsut got back from visiting Chicago. Cool town with big buildings and a fun place to watch baseball.

9/01/2005 2:31 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

How was I to know? I feel obligated to say "happy birthday" now and I hate birthdays as it is! Anyway, "happy birthday and I hope all your birthday dreams came true"... Sorry it's late.

Also hope the email was helpful, that's when you got past the waffle right? Lastly, great blog. I'm enjoying the read and it looks like, for a third day running, I'm going to be doing absolutely nothing other than reading. I mean, we go all the back to March here! Still can't wait, kettle on, Chocolate hob nobs (do you have them in the states?) next to me and go...

9/01/2005 5:16 AM  
Blogger omar said...

Hey Chicago friends!

Good luck as the hunt continues, Jazz. We've got an extra room here, but the commute would suck.

9/01/2005 6:32 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

""she's the kind of person that makes every place feel like home. she's totally silly and full of her mother's crazy maxims. she's from dallas and will make you black eyed peas and brown sugar bacon and cheddar cheese grits""

we HAVE to be related!! Great, now I want some damn grits!!

Have a great rest of the week!!

9/01/2005 9:19 AM  
Blogger jazz said...

syar: thanks girl!

chris: it's where my heart is. i'll go back soon i hope

me: i'm tryin...

adz: hob nobs!!! we don't have them in the states but i love them! with some good tea (not this crappy stuff we have in the states). i have a few very good english friends here. they bring them back when they go home. welcome and enjoy!

omar: the commute would suck. i'd rather take the cardboard box option. no offense.

june: all the more reason when i'm in houston we're so getting together!

9/01/2005 10:43 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Chicago! I had an emotional meltdown in the O'hare airport! Otherwise, I love the city, or what I saw of it, and I have a couple of friends in Chicago. Yay Chicago friends.

Hope something with the apt. comes up soon.

9/01/2005 10:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you'll find a GREAT place !!! a place that is just going to be the envy of all self loving manhattanites!!!! its going to be priced very fairly, you will have a tree looking into your bedroom window and a bird on full time payroll to sing to you everymorning!!! there!!!!
i said it!!!! now just see it happen!

9/01/2005 3:21 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

very glad to hear you're in good company, jas.

and yeah, the blog is a fantastic way to keep folks up to date. my peeps check in to see the latest tales of bootysmack, parking and other adventures in sleeplessness.

it's at their own lesiure and you seem less fallen off the planet. everyone wins.

good luck with the apartment search. on bath for 11 bedrooms is outrageous.

9/01/2005 4:29 PM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

You are luck to have a friend like Alex... A majority of my friends would bring me a home cooked meal in my car, after volunteering their couch for a week.

9/01/2005 6:44 PM  
Blogger glo said...

Good on you for going semi-public....

And I'm glad you have alex to take care of you right now. So, eat your southern comfort like a good girl and take advantage of her hospitality ;)

9/01/2005 7:03 PM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

Hello Jazz's friends!

9/01/2005 7:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think sharing the blog with friends is very cool. I share mine with my close friends for the same reason you said. But believe me, you're not giving up all you anonymity. You're safe for now. ;)

Also, happy belated thirty- well, we'll just leave it at that, eh? LOL I feel so out of it being a lurker. Argh.

But keep you're head up and the right place will come along.

Peace

9/01/2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger tiredbutnotsleepy.blogspot.com said...

Man, Thank God for buds. Gotta love that train commute from Hoboken. It was fun for a time, but got old quickly!

Happy belated birthday to you,
Happy belated birthday to you,
Happy belated birthday dear Jazzy,
Happy belated birthday to you.

Be happy you couldn't hear me sing!!

Hello to all your friends.

You perfect apt is on the horizon, I can feel it! "Chin up, young fella!" Ten points for anyone who knows where that quote is from.

Happy almost friday everyone!

9/02/2005 12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been here for ages. (Not that I was always visiting before, am new to this blog.) Spent the last 35 minutes reading all the posts. Haha.

Happy Belated Birthday Jazz!

eleven bedroom and one bathroom? i've seen weirdness in a new light.

xx.

9/02/2005 10:54 AM  
Blogger Gordy said...

I Jazz's Chicago buddies..enjoy the blog..we do!

9/04/2005 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home