Monday, May 01, 2006

and there was peace

i climb into a cab and a familiar, soothing sound reached my ears. john coltrane. and all of a sudden, at 3am, there was nowhere else i'd rather be. i've often thought i'd like to die listening to coltrane. and i briefly imagined myself dying in a mangled crash moments later, just so my wish could be granted.

shaking my attention from the images of my own beautiful death was a sound usually unfamiliar in cab drivers, an american accent. we chatted about gas prices. i apologized to him for making him take me to the subway (a $5 ride) instead of up to my house way uptown (a $27 ride) where he would have gotten a bigger tip. he explained that, because he probably wouldn't have gotten a fare back downtown and would have to spend more money on gas, that it was actually cheaper for him to only take me the few blocks i asked to be driven and get the lesser tip. as i opened the door the soft sound of saxophone gave way to the bustling noises on west 4th, still in my coltrane euphoria, i gave him a $6 tip before i hopped out. just because.

and sometimes i wake up and things feel grim, gray and gross. but i take myself back to coltrane and realize things will be just fine. great, in fact.

8 people who played with me:

Blogger cadiz12 said...

it always looks the brightest after it's the bleakest. hope things start to look even better, jaz.

5/01/2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Nice post. This is something of a change of pace. Just a tiny flash of introspection. I'll thank the Coltrane for that.

5/01/2006 11:42 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Excellent post Jazz. An american huh? That is odd.

great music

5/02/2006 1:02 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Its funny how its the little things that are the most reassuring. Great post.

5/02/2006 3:30 AM  
Blogger omar said...

Ditto what others said, plus I'm glad there was no mangled car crash.

5/02/2006 7:35 AM  
Blogger glo said...

I must start listening to more Coltrane...

5/02/2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

That's the best kind of music. Glad you found your bit of peace, and I'm sure the taxi driver appreciated the tip.

5/02/2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Reprobate said...

mmmm Trane Nothing like him late at night. I think my favorite late night Trane solo is on "Blue in Green" off of Miles',"Kind of Blue".

5/11/2006 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home