Monday, March 27, 2006

lurkers, i'm stalking you!

i have a few lurkers.

the ones that confuse me the most are the ones who know me personally.

there are a few at work that fall into this category and haven't told me they read it, which is just weird. no, "hey jasmine, found your blog," or "i heard you had one and wanted to read it, where can i find it?" it's strange that they don't talk to me all that much at the office yet, for some reason, desire to read about my inner workings here in blog city. in fact, someone even told boss lady about it. (she used to be a temp before turning boss and is quite close to several of the veterans working with us, most of all, work boyfriend who used her computer to buy the damn tickets for mexican girlfriend in the first place. real cool, right?) work boyfriend has known about the thing for ages though my statcounter tells me he almost never stops by. whatever he's told boss lady re: his feelings about posts that feature him, he's told me to write about whatever i want, which is what i'll continue to do.

there are a few people who i'm flat out not friends with who read, undoubtedly just to make fun of and criticize me. bless them. i just thought they'd have much better things to be doing. i'm surprised that i'm on their minds long enough for them to feel like they want to stop by, even if it is just to hate and mock me. really now...

lately the blog has been making the law office circuit. i've gotten hits from 20 or so of the top 5o firms in the city. i'm assuming it's just some random guys forwarding the HNT posts to each other but it's weird to see so many recognizable servers...the one of my employer even (explained by boss lady visits, Id.). since i don't write about work so it doesn't matter much. i wish my job weren't so un-exciting, but that's how the dice rolls.

and then there are those that i don't know. those who come from funny servers. those from faraway places (i.e. pakistan, iceland, new zealand). even some a little closer to home. for those strangers who lurk around here, feel free to drop a hello in the comments every once in a while. i don't bite!

unless you like that kind of thing...in which case, i'm all teeth.

25 people who played with me:

Blogger Joe said...

Is your computer clock off a little, Jazz? Even adjusting the time zone, this post appears to be coming at me from at least four hours in the future.

If you're still in the future on Wednesday evening, e-mail me and we'll talk about Powerball.

3/26/2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

yeah, you gotta love the lurkers.

3/26/2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger Percy said...

Just saying hi... lurker coming out of lurkdome...

3/27/2006 8:47 AM  
Blogger browser58 said...

Delurking to give you a quick hello from Connecticut. As blogger says "getkbpm".

That is the word verification entry, of course.

3/27/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger SJR said...

Hi Jazz, semi-lurker here. I can't remember how I happened across your blog but I like it and the pics :)

3/27/2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger AndyT13 said...

Hey Jazz.
I guess i found you through HNT and I visit from time to time.
Hope things are going well.
AndyT13

3/27/2006 2:36 PM  
Blogger christina said...

hi, i'm probably the definition of a lurker. i randomly ended up here at some point in time and i think you're a really good writer and your life is just so much more exciting than mine that i've continued to read. i'll try and be less creepy and post a comment now and then!

3/27/2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger Nikhil said...

Hey
Another lurker here. Found this blog through andy's old blog -- new york intern. I like the writing and the pics as well. From now on, no more lurking -- or atleast i will try. have a good one.

3/27/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

i get mostly DOAF lurkers. friend of a friend. they're shy. statcounter reveals all though, and I love when new countries start showing up. blogs going global!

I lurk when I can't think of a smart enough comment. some blogs I read religiously but I'm not brave enough to click that teensy link at the bottom, thus making me, a lurker.

glad that doesn't happen here though.

and "I'm all teeth" is awesome. going on my sidebar!

3/27/2006 8:11 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

ok, I meant FOAF. I don't know what the heck DOAF is.

3/27/2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Gordy said...

Hey Jazz, Gordy here, just saying Hi. I don't get to stop by as often as i would like nowadays, but I do comment from time to time..

Anyways..Bite Me! Please!

3/27/2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger Kyssa said...

I guess I'm a lurker too...It's a bad habit. You've forced me out of my shell!

3/27/2006 11:49 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Hi! Guilty as charged I am a lurker. I enjoy your writing and your pictures are great!
Have a wonderful day

3/28/2006 1:53 AM  
Blogger arh53197 said...

Hi from Oklahoma!

3/28/2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger SCG said...

I found your blog by hitting "next blog" when i was bored at work. it makes the time past faster

3/28/2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I actually met you before you were THE Jasmine. :) It's like friends who were your friends before you got famous.

It's so exciting to see your blog explode. When you had the one HNT hit like over 90 posts I was like "Sheeeeeeit!" :) Your blog makes me feel like I'm in NY again, Jazz.

3/28/2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I know - I am always fascinated by lurkers - wish they would sign and say hi, but guess they are too busy lurking!!

3/28/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger ian llorens said...

As a non native English speaker (what can you expect from a Catalan?), I had to go to the fundamentals (Webster dictionary) to find out whether or not I was a lurker and what the hell lurker meant (stalker, jerk, ...)

It is now clear to me:

n. One of the `silent majority' in a electronic forum;
one who posts occasionally or not at all but is known to read the
group's postings regularly. This term is not pejorative and indeed
is casually used reflexively: "Oh, I'm just lurking." .

So yes, I am a lurker who found you via Sempre Primavera, visits regularly and gives unsolicited comments.

3/28/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger Farah said...

hey Jazz, sorry have never commented. You write really well, and i've been hooked on your blog for a long time, just haven't been able to think of something original to say.

3/28/2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger omar said...

I don't comment as much as I once did, but you know I still read everything you post.

I do know of 4 or 5 lurker college students working for me who check you out every Thursday. Religiously.

Jazzism. (Hm, on second thought, that sounds too close to a slang term for semen.)

3/29/2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Edge said...

I don't even remember how I found you. Just enjoy your writing and stop in every week. Nics pics too of course.

3/30/2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger yosh said...

I found your blog is some random way and for some reason once I read a few posts and the URL is easy to remember, I always have to stop back once in a while. So, I do.

3/31/2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

I'm suspicious that the same thing is happening to me. Of course there are the lurkers that you never knew and never will know about, yet it seems that the highest proportion of lurkers (and I don't know how I would know this, it's just a hunch) are people who actually know me in person! That is strange. Is it because blogging is like the secret identity that people who know you know that they know you don't want you to know they know that other side of you? Why?

4/02/2006 12:49 AM  
Blogger Nadia said...

Ditto Andy. We were here before it all. Well, he was, I was...on my way. Which so still counts.

4/04/2006 10:48 PM  
Blogger jd said...

I just stop by once in a while to get a breath of fresh air.
And that you are !
I`ll not lurk without saying hello, or something, in the future.

4/11/2006 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home