Tuesday, April 25, 2006

reason #114 why i love new york

bargains, people. bargains.

mock designer sunglasses can be bought from a crazy man in SoHo for $3.

i got a full body, one hour massage for $34. however, there are a few catches with this one: the rooms are separated by curtains so though it's extremely quiet in there, you can still hear the japanese lady pounding on the woman's back the next "room" over. and no men are allowed (probably because it's so semi-private to begin with). BUT the massage tables are heated and since there's no shower they wipe you down with hot moist towels afterwards so you don't get lotion/oil all over your clothes. in all, it's a total steal.

there's a brunch place where, for $8 you get unlimited mimosas. i had brunch there last week and must have had nearly 10 of them. i literally almost fell down when i tried to stand up to leave. the catch: champagne hangovers are the WORST!

cheap cheap eyelash extensions and calonics can be found in the inner recesses of chinatown. catch: you have to go to chinatown. but the quality and cleanliness of both places is as good as can be. both places have been staples among people at my office.

and now trader joe's is finally open in the city. hooray for great food at next-to-nothing prices! however, the mile-long line outside really makes me re-think whether all my favorite things there are really worth that wait.

new yorkers: any good bargains you've found recently, feel free to e-mail them over. i'll return the favor...

10 people who played with me:

Blogger Katie said...

aw man... I want a Trader Joes.

4/25/2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

I want one too, but I also want Jazz to be careful with WBF... Can you say YIKES!?

4/25/2006 10:47 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

man, that sounds great. especially since i'm paying 110$ for a massage at the spa where we're taking my best friend for her bachelorette. and i think that was a deal, too. sigh. frankly, i'm a little scared about being massaged. any tips?

4/25/2006 11:36 PM  
Blogger Wags said...

$8, unlimited mimosas, truly nirvana!
Also, Trader Joes rocks.. we're a little spoiled here.. 3 for a population of ~100K. :)

4/26/2006 6:49 AM  
Blogger jiji said...

$8 for unlimited mimosas! eek! u must give me the low down! (or do i have to trek to chinatown?)

4/26/2006 9:14 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I've no interest in mimosas, but I'm suddenly hungry for brunch anyway. Darn you.


Word verifuckation: gladys
First time I've ever seen an actual word.

4/26/2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

TRADER JOE IN THE CITY!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOO REALLY!!!!!!! YOU MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT PLACE

4/26/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger glo said...

Is Trader Joe's cheaper out there?? Sheesh. I can tell I live in yuppie-dom. Those soycakes are priced higher than diamonds in my town.

4/26/2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger Reprobate said...

Just found your blog, love it!

I been traveling to NYC from Chicago every month since the late '80's. I love the street vendors because in NYC, unlike Chicago where street vendors are illegal, you can do everything while walking. Forget your watch? Pick one up in the way. Need to snarf down lunch? Grab a hot dog and eating while you walk to your next appointment.

The big chain stores made the same splash in Chicago. I think it's because of the novelty of having suburban conveniences in the city. Best Buy was godsend for me.

4/27/2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger choister said...

I've been looking for a reliable place for eyelash extensions. Where in Chinatown did you go?

7/26/2007 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home