Sunday, February 12, 2006

subway diaries, chapter 2

for all gothamites, the subway is a way of life. this is the second in a series of my thoughts on this modus transportare publico. i'm fluent in faux latin, be impressed.

justy and i went to go see woody allen's new effort, matchpoint. discussing the movie as we walked to the subway:

me: i kept thinking i had it figured out, that i knew what was coming next...
justy: me too! i mean, when you saw that ring after he tossed it...
me: i know! i saw that and thought, "shit. it's over."
getting downstairs to the tracks
justy: i thought it was awesome
me: me too. totally loved it...
seeing train approach
both of us, in unison, in reference to the oncoming train: now THAT'S awesome!

with few exceptions, nothing fails to impress more than happening to catch a train just as you arrive on the platform. this is doubly true after 10pm when train frequency is nearly cut in half.

5 people who played with me:

Blogger Katie said...

I had the same thing when I was in Vienna. I loved the Public transportation (which may as well be considered a curse word where I live) and it was a strange form of pleasure to catch the train right on time, without having to wait.

2/13/2006 1:25 AM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

I love living in a city with as many cars as people. Parking can be a pain in the ass, but you never have to wait to go anywhere.

2/13/2006 2:02 AM  
Blogger Moody said...

When I was in Poland, I found that in lieu of a subway they had tram lines. Tram lines are the biggest threat to pedestrians I have ever seen. Because of the way they are built, it is almost impossible to tell how far away one is down the street from you. I was almost killed on a few occasions. On the whole, though, I think my favorite part about public transport is getting on, and, en route to your destination, seeing a drunk get on to sleep it off. HA!

2/13/2006 1:37 PM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

kind of reminds me of how i feel about reaching a psychic agreement about what type of food you and your date are in the mood for.

happes so, so seldom.

2/13/2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger glo said...

I used to joke that I had a train repellant. No matter what time I arrived, the train would be 20 minutes late - as though it had to *convince* itself to pick me up.

Yeah. It still hurts. But i hope we can be friends again one day :)

2/14/2006 1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home