Tuesday, January 31, 2006

subway diaries, chapter 1

for all gothamites, the subway is a way of life. this is the first of a series of my thoughts on this modus transportare publico. i'm fluent in faux latin. be impressed.

i've come to believe that the ultimate romantic gesture in this fine city of mine is watching a man offer up his seat on the subway.

any punked out/gangsta/just plain ugly/scary looking/fill in the blank type guy automatically becomes better looking, sensitive, sweet, thoughtful, and gentlemanly once i see him stand to give an elderly woman a place to sit on the train.

it makes me swoon. for the rest of my ride i fantasize about a mini relationship between me and the knight in shining armor who came to the rescue of someone who needed to rest their tired feet.

sometimes it really is the little things...

10 people who played with me:

Blogger iluvnyc said...

for 1 thing, they have manners

1/31/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger omar said...

Jazz and her gangsta knight in shining armor...

That faux latin is impressive. It makes you seem more lawyer-ish.

1/31/2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Who said American's have no manners?! Good for them, that would make me all swoony too.

1/31/2006 9:45 PM  
Blogger The Big Cheese said...

Your best post.

2/01/2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Mawar said...

once in a sub i was standing in front of this immaculately dressed dude. i just finished a 5-hour retail theraphy marathon, my arms were laden with shopping bags and was desperate for a seat. the guy looked up at me and said "you look like you could use a seat, hon" and i was like "omg yes thank you" then he nonchalently nodded, smiled sympathetically and said "yeah too bad there arent any available"

i hate men in subways.

2/01/2006 12:44 AM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

That guy sounds like the worlds ultimate douchebag.

2/01/2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

so, who gave up his seat for you this morning?

2/01/2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

faux latin... that's funny.

if strangers open doors for me, i want to hump them down like a dog... but it's been a while since i got laid, too...

2/01/2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I almost never sit on the subway. But maybe I should sit first, and then stand up. Cause apparently giving up your seat is a big deal, but never taking one, no one cares.

2/02/2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Next time I am in NYC and I offer up my seat to an elderly woman I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for you! ;)

Peace

2/12/2006 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home