Thursday, September 08, 2005

apartment fiascos cont'd

i'm back with updates!
please note the title of this post before you get excited that i've found a place...which i haven't.

to refresh, see the ad for the theater people here. also note their amazing spelling skillz. so this apartment is on 42nd between 5th and madison, which is a really nice block with huge skyscrapers...save for one, a rundown stone building with a nail place on the first floor. it's a 6th floor walkup. the door opens and the guy inside is soooo pretty. christian (his name, not his religion) is a filmmaker. the livingroom ceiling was 20+ feet tall with a huge skylight. and they weren't kidding about the stage, there is a tiny stage with a baby grand piano against black walls like a little cabaret stage. it's surreal. after a few minutes of small talk i finally ask to see the room. oh people. i've seen some small rooms. i really have. this may have taken the cake. it is triangular and fits a twin sized mattress and NOTHING else. there is a teeny bit of storage space above, accessed by a ladder. there were actually other people there in worse sleeping situations. right in the front door there was a hole in the ceiling with a ladder leading up to it. the space up there was nothing but a tiny dark whole...and there was someone sleeping up there. no joke.

next was the anal girl. her ad required that i send her my expectations about living conditions, how i clean and how often, what my schedule is, and on, and on. i get to her apartment and the room for rent is the same thing as her livingroom. there is a tiny folding screen that attempts, and fails, to provide any kind of privacy. i mentioned my concern that there wasn't any room in the cabinets for my dishes, etc. she pointed out a tiny cabinet and mentioned that i'd have to have all my own stuff because they don't share anything. and i mean, ANYTHING. there were literally two sponges and bottles of dish soap on the sink. there were even two different rolls of toilet paper in the bathroom. no, folks, they don't even share the toilet paper.

where do these people come from?!

12 people who played with me:

Blogger MEP said...

Oh lord, Jazzy. Don't live in either place. You would go nuts in either situation! Good luck with finding a better place than those two! I will keep my fingers crossed.

9/08/2005 12:14 PM  
Blogger The Seeker said...

Try the obituaries. Hey, it works in When Harry Met Sally. Is there anything on Craig's List?

9/08/2005 12:52 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

well thank you for making me completely aware that i will never EVER live in NYC unless i win the freaking lotto. and i dont play it, so there ya go.

Jesus on the cross, i cannot understand this at all. i had noticed that ladder days ago in the pic but didnt think much of it.

i am thankful for my beautiful apt in a great part of town, with 800 sq feet all for $705 a month WITH COVERED PARKING. not bragging jazzy, just thankful..sorry for that. :O(

it just all seems so surreal to me. the way of life there.

9/08/2005 1:24 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

they're aliens. that one joint sounds like a 3-star Harry Potter cupboard.

9/08/2005 2:07 PM  
Blogger Wags said...

$700 for a triangular room? Wow. Do you get to keep the tips you earn for tap dancing twice weekly on the stage? On the plus side you won't need a gym membership since you'll get all the exercise you need walking up and down.

Good luck with the continued search...

9/08/2005 3:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

jazz- there ARE normal apts over here! i've seen!- dont use craigs list they're crazies-- use roommates.com

9/08/2005 5:14 PM  
Blogger glo said...

That is truly unique.

Last spring, I looked at a "studio" in Pasadena - it was basically someone's attic, complete with insulation. You couldn't stand up! Bargain price for the establishment? $750/month. Yeah. 'Cause I want to pay top dollar for my back problems.

Continuing to cross fingers and wish for the best...

9/08/2005 5:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

JustJunebug, my thoughts exactly! Make me boil!!!

Peace

9/08/2005 9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jazz-a-licious,

I just felt like giving you a new nickname.

Anywho, at least that all makes for a great blog story.

9/08/2005 9:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Jeez, Jazz... I thought things were bad in California. I think because Craigslist started in SF it's not as bad as it is in NYC. (Don't get me wrong, there are still crazies here, but I think we're all a bit crazy--hey, we live on the edge of a continent in an earthquake zone).

Baby, you know if I had a place in NY, I'd help move you in! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get a FABulous place.

9/08/2005 11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to have a private screen once in an apartment. It wasn't convenient when I brought (uh hum) men home!

9/09/2005 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say move to Chicago. You at least get more space here to avoid crazy roomates. . .

9/09/2005 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home