Wednesday, October 19, 2005

the tale of the secret hipster party...

things have a funny way of happening in new york. people meet other people in funny ways who bring them to funny places. cue: the craziness.

my roommates had the launch of their fall clothing line. way hot t-shirt dresses (but to be worn over jeans) all ruched and stuff. it was awesome. they know a million people, and for some reason, 90% of them men. some of them datable, others that really weren't. i have my eye on a guy named mike. an i-banker who claims that he and his friends throw the most rockin halloween party in the city. we'll see whether he's all talk. melissa's brother came in from PA for it with her mother, aunt and uncle. they took us to an amazing lunch and then to famous Billy's for cupcakes. he's a friend of E and M's and is the sweetest boy ever! we picked up $400 worth of cheese donated by Artisanal for the party.

at the party we met ian, a cool-looking guy who lives in williamsburg. turns out he's a blogging friend of mel's brother! they both have blogs that are pretty theology heavy. we dished philosophical with ian all night. he called M on sunday to tell her about THE sunday night party. i'm not telling you where it is because i plan on going back. you can never be too careful with these stalkers!

on the train a homeless man felt like he wanted to talk to us.

homeless man: hi girls. what are your names?
M: tamika [pause...thinking it was too much of a stretch...] tami.
me: [D and I used to use fake names at bars but i couldn't remember mine for the life of me so i said...] lindsey (i remember now that i was jordan and that she was tina...i always forget!)
homeless man: so, what do you do for recreation?
M: jump rope.
me: nodding.
homeless man: both of you?
M: yes, we each hold an end of the rope. we have a friend who does the jumping.
me: [turning away because i was going to start giggling audibly any second...]
homeless man, to me: what's your name again?
me: jenn.
homeless man, to M: are you a virgin?
M: do i look like a virgin?
homeless man: you look pure, maybe you're just southern.
M: i am! i'm from dallas.
homeless man: you guys are an asian caucasion sensation!
homeless man, to me: what's your name again?
me: susie
cue: our subway stop...finally...so damn random...

we got off the subway in a very quiet neighborhood with no bars to speak of. we get to the corner where the party was supposed to be and would have left without finding it had we not seen someone else enter this random doorway. usually you see the tell-tale smokers outside but there were none here. we found out why, as soon as we entered we walked into a thick cloud of smoke (for those not local, smoking in bars and restaurants has been outlawed).

this bar was FULL of hipsters. again, for those non-locals, hipsters are the bohemians of the city. the thrift shop, artsy, chain-smoking, haters of the wanna-bes. hipsters all want to be different and in the process, all end up looking like each other. it's basically, a lot of pretension in a pretty package. the hipsters usually hang out in the hard-to-get-to-because-no-subway-trains-go-there alphabet city or in williamsburg. ian said he really liked this party because all the 20 year old hipsters (i.e. wannabes) didn't flood it. we had the older crowd here. ian actually lives with two of the guys who work at the bar so drinks were cheap cheap cheap. the music was fun and we danced (though, to that music, it's a lot of jumping up and down with some head bobbing, there is NO R&B here). this party won't last long. hipsters hate what is popular and this party...definitely falls into that category.

hopefully it'll hang on one more week because the music was good and the boys were pretty.

there's nothing like living in new york city!

my social calendar for the next month is booked up completely. everybody and their brother has moved and is having house warmings, has a birthday, is getting engaged, having dinner parties just because. i'm exhausted but happy!

7 people who played with me:

Blogger starbender said...

That's one hell of an interesting night!
P.S. Don't talk to STRANGERS on the SUBWAYS!!!
;)

10/19/2005 12:32 PM  
Blogger glo said...

Sounds fab...it's that cool undercurrent that draws me to NYC, but I'm very open to dealing with the fact that I'm a wannabee.

Anyway, glad you're having fun...and I always talk to strangers on the subway. How else would I fulfill my randomness quota for the day?

10/19/2005 12:54 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

am I a total goob for reading these words: hopefully it'll hang on one more week because the music was good

"and the boys were pretty.

there's nothing like living in new york city!"

and having the music playing (in my head) from that old rock song.. "oh wont you please take me down..." God who sang that? some hair band from the 80's or 90's...I know the words are different but they read the same to me as that song..

and no, i am not high OR drunk.



yet.

HI JAZZY!!!!!!!!

10/19/2005 1:34 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

that kind of exhaustion is the best way to live, jas.

rock on.

10/19/2005 5:49 PM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

this cracked me up...did you nod with a straight face??

homeless man: so, what do you do for recreation?
M: jump rope.
me: nodding.

10/19/2005 7:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear ya! I've only been here a week or so and I miss LI and NYC. I guess a little of NY in general. But it is fun here (weather has helped greatly - 85 degrees in the fall, wtf?) and I have been enjoying myself. Although unpacking is a bitch. :)

You know we actually have hipsters here in Lincoln. I was at this place called Knickerbockers last weekend and you see typical midwestern college crowds then all of a sudden you see a group of peops who look like they are doing a Oasis/Noel Gallagher/White Stripes impersonation. Funny shit.

Peace

10/19/2005 10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you suck! - haha- no just upset i'm not in your social calendar :)

its ok, i forgive you--

10/20/2005 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home