Thursday, September 29, 2005

there has been a slight change in plans

i was starting to have my doubts about whether i could afford awesome nyc room with DKNY discounting roommate. though the room was only $780 (cheap by midtown standards) she had a maid and utilities that added a near $170 to the rent. the sight of my near empty checking account balance simultaneously with my online mastercard statement set dread upon me.

two days ago my good friends emily and melissa said they'd found a place in washington heights (translated: way the hell up there in manhattan, think 170's when the middle of manhattan is in the 40's, and not at all close to anything fun) for super cheap (translated: $450 a person). i had already dropped of my security deposit with DKNY and told them so, but the timing of this incredible offer drifted in and out of my mind over the next couple of days.

so when i had a near panic attack that my budgeted rent was way out of my actual budget (remember, one must have actual income of some sort to make a budget...i was working with pretend salaries), i called S who told me to go up and see emily and melissa's place and to see if i liked it. washington heights can be kind of a scary area (translated: kind of dirty, lots of bodegas, and let's just say there's more crime up there than in my happy ex-nest near the posh lincoln center at 66th st). the apt is on a quiet tree-lined block just off a park and only two clean and quick blocks from the subway (an express train). it's newly renovated, a decent sized kitchen, two bedrooms are good sized, one is teeeeeeny, and then there is the living room. i'd have the biggest room, melissa is going to sleep in the living room, emily will take the other bedroom, and the teeeeny room is going to be used as an office for the girls, who have their own fledgling clothing company. it'll have a computer/sewing machines/silk screens/etc. melissa's semi-private room is a little weird, but since i know them well, i'm not too afraid. also, they go out even more than i do, i think i'll have the place to myself often.

i had to call DKNY to break the news to her and she couldn't have handled it better. she understood my lack of funds and said she'd rather have me figure out now that i can't afford the maid than after having moved in for two months. i told her i understood how she needed said maid and didn't want to have to ask her to try to downgrade her standard of living just because i was on a budget. she said she was really sad about it because she really liked me. i told her the feeling was mutual. we may actually stay friends through all of this. the primo discount may not yet be dead for jasmine. that DEFINITELY deserves a huzzah. Huzzah!

this is going to sound stupid to those older and wiser than myself, but this really is my first attempt at being a real person. i've been a student since i was 5 years old. i'm 25 now and finally looking for my first real job (you know, the kind with benefits and 401k's and shit). it's pretty fucking scary. but i feel good about this super cheap place. so does my checking account. if it could have, it would have hugged me today, i'm certain of it. this was, without a doubt, the right thing to do. i think i'm getting a hang of this "real person" stuff.

yeah, i think i'll do just fine.

14 people who played with me:

Blogger tinyhands said...

Yes, it was the right (and mature) thing to do.

9/30/2005 12:12 AM  
Blogger Scribe Called Steff said...

Living within your means isn't nearly as bad as it originally sounds. Living away from 'anything fun' will help keep you within your means.

When you're working for a living, there's something relaxing about staying in nights at home, and when you're a little cut off from the world, you're more inclined to do it.

Good for you. :)

9/30/2005 12:47 AM  
Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

great post. made me smile today to see this.

your future roommates sound very cool. i hope you enjoy the new digs.

btw, can my pretend salary be in the six figure range? that would be effin awesome!

and don't worry about the real person bullshit. just keep livin'.

9/30/2005 12:56 AM  
Blogger Syar said...

good, happy news. what a nice change for today. I'm glad for you Jas. a double HUZZAH! for you.

9/30/2005 4:31 AM  
Blogger omar said...

Sometimes, being a grown up sucks. But some other times, it makes you feel good. And hugs from the checking account are always a good thing.

Congrats!

9/30/2005 6:09 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

good things come to those who wait...and make the right decisions. you're doing the right thing (coming from someone older and wiser)!

congratulations to you (and your bank account)

9/30/2005 8:05 AM  
Blogger tiredbutnotsleepy.blogspot.com said...

Awww, you are such a smart girl. I wish I had the impulse control you are exhibiting!!! And I am "older and wiser" but not by much! *wink wink*

I think you get a bonus for transfering the future roommate to friend with benefits!!

Hooray for you! Have a great weekend!!! We expect nothing less then a full account on Monday!

9/30/2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger jodifosterturkeybaster said...

Jazz, you just let me know when you're ready for advice with that 401k. I can come by some night and we can discuss it over a movie and a nice glass of wine. That's what I do for a living. Not seducing young beautiful women such as yourself (unless you're willing to let me) but giving financial advice. That's my bag baby.

9/30/2005 7:31 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

'oh no' at the prospect is so much better than 'oh SHIT' in the midst. take it from an older sister who has had to do a tiny bit of checkwriting to bail he-who-shall-remain-nameless out of trouble.

be thankful that you're sparing yourself that ugly lesson with such foresight.

you're doing the right thing; i'm proud.

9/30/2005 10:08 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I have confidence that you will make it happen. You just have that attitude. You've alwasy struck me as one of those people who I just never have to worry about. You're just good at life. :)

10/01/2005 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its always a little scary but you get used to the scary.

10/02/2005 3:57 PM  
Blogger Quycksilver said...

think you made the right choice!

10/02/2005 4:19 PM  
Blogger Nadia said...

irochzh --- "I rock. Huzzah." How cool is that.

I have total faith in you, Jazz.

I also have...8 years before it's my turn to become a real person.

Huzzah!

10/02/2005 10:15 PM  
Blogger ... j said...

780 Midtown, that's free! jesus that's less then Billburg! As for Wash heights, its no big, nothing like it used to be even a few years back, and slowly but surely those satanic people called real estate brokers are spitzing the place up for every 20 something that doesn't have the money for anywhere else in NYC. Give it two years and you'll have UWS prices there too, not to mention a good dose of gentrification.com. I miss my olde dirty skeevy New York :(

10/07/2005 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home