Monday, October 10, 2005

my apartment: the weekend in review


this is the landing outside my door. the families in the other apartments decorated it and it's so cute! it makes me look forward to getting to the top of that fourth flight of stairs. there are a lot of kids in the building. maybe we'll have trick or treaters!!!

the dynamics of my roommates and i are quite different. they follow astrology and completely understand that i'm controlling and uptight and organized because of my virgo status, my rising sign, my moon sign, etc. i have no fault, it's all the stars! i'm serious, they're artsy, i'm cool and level-headed, they're emotional and romantic, i'm conservative, they're free and wild. we all really compliment each other pretty well.

in short, my first weekend was great.

i have a new love: the dollar store! there are exactly three of them in a 3 block radius. those places have EVERYTHING. we got brooms, paper towels, hand soap, and on and on. we had nearly three full bags of things and spent all of $14 dollars. AMAZING. i was looking for rubbing alcohol and walked by a girl saying, "i want those socks." the girl's older sister said, "they have better socks at the other dollar store." i stopped in my tracks and yelled, "what other dollar store?!" they thought i was nuts. i was, truly, a woman possessed.

we painted the hallway and sang fiona apple songs at the top of our lungs. a friend of theirs came over and gave salsa lessons in the living room. em and melis have decided that we should take stripping lessons and strip one night a week at some stripclub downtown. they know a girl who strips at a place and pays the club $250 for the night and she keeps whatever she makes (up to $1,500/night). we rented showgirls to get tips and it was the WORST movie i think i'd ever seen. sunday morning i finished the entire NYTimes crossword, something i haven't done in ages. later that night we had an impromptu dinner party. we invited some friends over, ordered in white rice, bought seaweed and avocado and cucumber, and rolled our own sushi while listening to bob dylan and norah jones. sushi is so much better with crisp seaweed! it's amazing!

the apartment is not without it's quirks. to turn the lights on, you have to move the switch down to the "off" position. the hot water faucet is labeled with a C, the cold with an H. we have no kitchen cabinets. outside the apartment are stairs that go down to a basement apartment and a drug dealer hangs out down there. EVERY SINGLE TIME i walk by there is someone receiving bags or handing down cash. he must be the busiest dealer in a 10 block radius.

okay. back to the yankees game. just watched crosby and sheffield knock into each other over the same ball. doh! this does not bode well...

13 people who played with me:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh man, you girls are crazy!
glad you're enjoying the new place already!!

10/10/2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

these girls sound like they've got flavor. i knew if you did a thorough search, you'd find a great place to live. and the dollar stores are a bonus.

what are you going to dress as to answer the door on halloween?

10/10/2005 10:48 PM  
Blogger Wags said...

Sorry your team lost (well, secretly I'm very happy, not that I like the angels either.. go astros!). Sounds like your new pad is going to be a good source of many stories. Were you singing new fiona or old fiona?

-d

10/10/2005 11:54 PM  
Blogger omar said...

I don't know, I thought Showgirls was pretty good.

Glad you're enjoying the new place! And sorry about the Yanks. I don't know what they were thinking starting Bubba Crosby anyway.

10/11/2005 6:20 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

Showgirls is like a bad car wreck.

You cant help but watch. At least thats the case with me whenever I run across it on cable. I have never seen a worse case of acting. At least I dont think I have.

Have a fabulous week!

10/11/2005 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds fun and somehow very right. Like these are exactly the kind of people you're supposed to meet right now. Not in a fatalistic way but in the "I'm making wonderful memories" way.

10/11/2005 8:53 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

I watched two women making out in the seats in front of me when I saw showgirls in the theater. they were both rather manly, it was frightening.

Go Angels!

10/12/2005 12:34 AM  
Blogger The Seeker said...

Other than your downstairs dealer, the place sounds great...

10/12/2005 12:57 AM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

how does one make do without kitchen cabinets?!?!

10/12/2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger The Big Cheese said...

Tomorrow is Thursday! Fuck Ya!

10/12/2005 8:24 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

"what other dollar store?!" heh. I can picture that. Cute image.

10/13/2005 12:17 AM  
Blogger Wags said...

Ack.. I'm slow. I just got why people have been posting about not being able to wait for Thursday.

10/13/2005 1:23 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Halloween ROCKS! Cute pic..
alannajoy

10/13/2005 1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home