Wednesday, October 05, 2005

call me vila, bob vila.

so this apartment is still not finished. i'm not sure why. i also was not given a key to the front door. i'm not sure why. my closet is about 7 inches deep, which if you do a little math, will tell you that a hanger does not fit entirely into the closet. again, i'm not sure why.

so today i took a hammer, busted out the old pole (which was three inches from the back of the closet...no, it was in no position to have anything hung on it). and put up a closet rod that i found at bed, bath & beyond. i drilled the holes, called my mother to find out what to do with those little plastic thingies (expanders?) and i put that rod in that closet all by my little ol' self.

it was empowering, walking around with that drill. it was only a 6V but i wanted to walk around putting holes in everything, just for fun. so all my hanging clothes are finally out of the way and hanging where they should be, albeit protruding about four inches outside the closet doors.

i have such grand ideas for my room but have run into two problems. one: i have no money to spend decorating the thing. two: i'm about as creative as moss growing on the underside of a stone. i want my room to look "shabby chic." a hash of antique and modern, thrown together in a way that looks effortless but is obviously a conscious work of art. for now, i settle for a closet in which you can hang clothes.

all this planning and the fact my life is in a million scattered pieces for some reason has my brain spawning blog posts every five minutes. i'm always thinking of things i want to write about. so i may be a little post happy over the next few weeks or so. bear with me.

words of wisdom for today: happiness is puppy chow. i can't remember when i first had it, but all i know is that it's the best, most addictive stuff in the world. i used to make it a lot for my friends (it ALWAYS makes you the most popular one at the party, trust me). so today i got some in a care package/belated birthday present from my friend Niks (one of those few treasured chicago friends who reads this blog). i love how all my family and friends know that the way to my heart is through my stomach. thank you thank you kisi!

7 people who played with me:

Blogger The Seeker said...

That sounds pretty yummy even if you never come and read my blog. :-(

10/05/2005 12:44 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

good job, bob.

and puppy chow is a great reward for good work.

hang in there; i'm sure your place will be shabfab soon enough.

10/05/2005 4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How shabby are you willing to go? Careful dumpster diving (OK, no diving - just the stuff on top) near college campuses has sometimes worked well for me. Seriously.

10/05/2005 7:34 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

puppy chow is the shiznit!! man i had forgotten about that stuff!!!

10/05/2005 8:34 AM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

Glad you are getting into your space. You'll find just the right stuff for your room as time goes. That's the best way to go for the shabby but cool look.

Chow looks yummy

10/05/2005 9:07 AM  
Blogger tinyhands said...

Leave it to a man to get hung up on the tiniest detail, but the word you were looking for was "anchors".

10/05/2005 12:42 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

"I wanted to walk around putting holes in everything, just for fun." Without realizing it, I think you've captured the essence of male sexuality.

10/05/2005 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home