Thursday, December 20, 2007

an end run around in 12 easy steps

1.) i buy a sweater at club monaco during friends and family. $129 for cashmere is good but it was originally $180. i buy it in black but secretly wanted the less practical purple one.

2.) i keep thinking about the purple sweater. regret not buying both during friends and family weekend.

3.) i go into a club monaco and they are all out of the purple sweaters!

4.) day after thanksgiving i go to another club monaco, the sweater is there! i buy it! for $180! ouch!

5.) i leave the tags on for two weeks in case i start to have buyer's remorse at the price and want to return it.

6.) last weekend i see they're on sale for $129. i ask clerk about price adjust, he says i have 30 days to do it.

7.) i bring in receipt for adjust. am told, "no! you only have 14 days. you have 30 days to return things."

8.) i say, "okay." and look for my sweater at the store and see they are out.

9.) i call upper west side club monaco and they put a purple size small on hold.

10.) the next day i go buy purple sweater for $129. (at this point i try to explain my problem and try to get her to let me return the sweater i just bought with my old receipt, she does not take the bait. fuming, i leave.)

11.) take the sale sticker off.

12.) go to another club monaco and return said sweater with my receipt for $180, thus getting back the difference, making me $50 richer. huzzah!




7 people who played with me:

Blogger cadiz12 said...

wow. but what did it cost you to travel back and forth? and can you put a price on all that fretting?

i'm sure the purple is lovely.

12/20/2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Nicely done!

I would not have had enough patience to go through, like, 10 of those steps.

12/20/2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Cousin said...

My rule: don't ever value your free time less than the minumum wage (that's what I use to justify the "it's not worth it" excuse to stay home and watch tv...)

12/20/2007 1:48 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

$30 richer? Jazz, I took math in high school and I'm pretty sure you're $129 poorer. BUT, I guess you are a purple cashmere sweater rich, which might as well be platinum. :)

12/20/2007 4:50 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

Thing is, I would probably do all this for a purple sweater too.

If Malaysia had refund and return policies.

Or if cashmere here wasn't treated like gold.

OR if we had a Club Monaco.

Jeebus.

12/21/2007 1:50 AM  
Blogger Alla said...

I love it when a girl wins a battle agains the powertrippin retail mafia --

12/21/2007 4:50 AM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

So happy for you.

Why did they feel the need to be a pain in the ass about it?

One of the reasons I love Nordstrom... If I'm not happy, they aren't happy, and they make it right.

12/25/2007 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home