Wednesday, August 29, 2007

why i'm so good

i am a good girl. not because i have no evil in me. not because i particularly like being good. not because i love following rules. what it comes down to, mainly, is fear.

whenever i get in a car, i buckle the seat belt. i don't particularly like seat belts, and if i'm wearing a silk top that i'm afraid will wrinkle and consider going sans belt...i'll then have a vision of myself in a terrible accident. i see my own body fly through the windshield to land in a bloody heap on the concrete. and that seat belt goes on so fast, let me tell you...

the one exception to this is when i'm in a nyc cab. and it's totally counter intuitive, i know. cab drivers are fast and furious, they're completely reckless, and they're ALWAYS talking on the fucking phone to their relatives in bangladesh or wherever in whatever language and yelling. WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS YELLING? but that's besides the point. whatever it is about a cab driver is that even though they constantly cut people off and every corner seems like a near miss, i figure that they must know what they're doing. they're the cutting off, talking and driving experts. also, so many cabs don't even have seat belts.

so i've adjusted that much, i've refrained from enacting in my head my own gruesome death every time i hop into that yellow sedan.

5 people who played with me:

Blogger Peter said...

I can appreciate the fear thing.

It is essentially what has kept me from doing lines of coke off a hooker's breasteses for all these years.

8/29/2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger Neily said...

I hope there is a difference between a hookers ass and their breasts otherwise im in trouble.

8/29/2007 11:55 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

If you don't know the difference between and ass and a breast, then you may be in even more trouble than you think!

And stay out of my bathroom.

8/29/2007 12:09 PM  
Blogger Cousin said...

Report them. In Chicago three reports and you lose your license -- if enough people do this (and remember that cell driving has repeatedly been shown as dangerous as drunk driving) they'll stop, or at least some will.

As for good behavior in general: Pascal's Wager lives!

8/29/2007 4:05 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

I only ever follow the seatbelt rules in my own car, and in the front passenger seat of every other car except for, like you, cabs. Like, my life is SOOO much safer on buses and back seats. Scotland has seat belts on their buses though, which I dutifully put on. This halfsies safety method is just denial in disguise, but I guess I don't have enough fear.

Hah.

8/30/2007 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home