Wednesday, March 28, 2007

fig newtons

it's funny how some foods evoke certain memories in my life.

the mere sight of fig newtons bring me back to my summers in elkhart, WI.

my grandfather's best friend had a house there on a lake with a few boats. the house had a huge screened in patio that sat above the treetops and the house had stairs straight down to the dock. there were bunk beds and a mata hari pinball machine.

and on the boat with orange and yellow life vests, grandpa would let us sit on his lap and drive the boat (and by "drive," i mean steer, and by "steer" i mean holding onto the wheel and screaming like crazy even though we were in a wide open space where there was nothing to run into, even if we did want to get gutsy and turn the thing).

and we'd bring ham sandwiches and pop (yes, we call it pop) and fig newtons. and after we'd finish tubing, mom would bring us in and we'd eat as all the food turned to mush in our fingers because our hands were still wet from the ride.

it's no wonder that when i eat fig newtons that i kind of want to run them under water before i put them in my mouth. they're just not as good when they're dry.

6 people who played with me:

Blogger Neily said...

Man I didnt know those things still existed. That's old school!

Its funny how you or people in general know how to adjust to great changes, such as you from Wisconsin to New York, but some things you just would rather not.

Dump those Fig Newtons in a bucket if it makes you feel better. lol!

3/28/2007 4:53 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I don't really trust anyone who calls it "soda."

3/28/2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger glo said...

That's a gorgeous memory...and I still remember the day I realized I'd converted my vocabulary from pop to soda. :(

3/28/2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

c'mon. pop is shorter, fun to say and there's an element of onomatopoeia, too. how could you call it anything else?

3/28/2007 9:32 PM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

I stick to "soda"...

Pop was always my grandfathers term for a punch.
-Neighbor:
"How about you tell your grandkids not to cut through my lawn?"
- Grandpa:
"How about I pop you in the jaw?"
(He was a fiery German...)

I'm not gonna lie to ya, the thought of wet Fig Newtons sounds kinda gross. :-)

3/28/2007 10:08 PM  
Blogger omar said...

I'm a "soda" guy, myself. The wife says "pop." It makes for some pretty heated debates.

As for fig newtons, I always thought those were disgusting. But my wife started buying the whole grain ones for the boy, and so I tried a few. They're really not as bad as I remember.

3/30/2007 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home