Tuesday, February 27, 2007

subway diaries, chapter 5

for all gothamites, the subway is a way of life. this is the fourth in a series of my thoughts on this modus transportare publico. i'm fluent in faux latin, be impressed.

so this conductor is slowly becoming my favorite person.

he's usually the guy telling us he'll see us, "same time, same place!"

last week as the train was speeding along at 8am he said, "now folks, i'm looking around and i don't see very many smiling faces today. i think everyone should smile right now. keep it with you all day." and sure enough, i couldn't find a single person in my car who wasn't a tiny bit touched by the sentiment.

today, as the doors kept slid open and closed about a dozen times (mainly because people are holding it open or have stuffed themselves in a car where they don't fit and their jackets and backpacks are getting caught in the doors) i hear, "ladies and gentleman, you know that when you hold open the doors, you're not making me late for work, i'm already here. it's everyone else you're holding up!"

i kind of want to hug this man...

5 people who played with me:

Blogger Joe said...

He probably deserves a hug. I don't think I'd be that rosy.

2/27/2007 10:57 PM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

LOL...

I love it, "I'm already here..."

2/28/2007 12:44 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

there are so few fun conductors out there. all the ones on my train are supergrumpy. they could use a dose of whatever your guy is on.

2/28/2007 1:24 AM  
Blogger CozyMama said...

awwh that is so sweet that he is like that. I ride a subway of sorts everyday too, but it is on the west coast and it is a train called a trolley and it is not undergroud. ;) the drivers are total toads, they do not talk to you at all unless there is a problem with a door - then they say please stand clear, thats it. i miss riding the bus at least those guys talked to you.

2/28/2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger iluvnyc said...

LOL...

some are extremely grumpy. i saw one still yelled at this couple as the subway was already moving.

but all in all... i love living in nyc :D

4/05/2007 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home