Friday, October 13, 2006

shock and awe...

i've been in close proximity (have waited on) some really famous people in my time. will smith? no problem. george clooney, al pacino, marilyn manson? whatever. paul mccartney, etc., etc., etc. with the exception of a few occasions (namely jamie oliver), i'm the last person to be starstruck when faced with a famous person.
 
so i go to a hillary clinton fundraiser last night with Pretty. a friend of ours is working the event and hands us pink VIP bracelets and ushers us into a room with THE woman herself. we're in a line to meet/greet/get photographed and i literally started to panic. i was so amazingly nervous that when i got up to her i had no idea what to say and the thought in my head just flew right out my mouth: "you are so pretty in person!" she laughed and said, "why, thank you!" and we smiled for the camera. i was handed my purse and walked off completely annoyed at myself that, face to face with one of the most powerful women in the world, THAT is what comes out of my mouth?! i'm a mess. Pretty walked over and first thing he says is, "i swear to god she looked right at my crotch."
 
i realize the difference between actors and her is just sheer power. actors are useless really (unless they're spending their millions to do some good angelina-style). with hillary, her sheer presence is a force to be reckoned with.
 
the evening ended at the-new-york-place-all-the-celebs-and-wannabes-hang-out-because-it's-uber-exclusive bungalo 8. Pretty, after some diligent schmoozing and tipping, can get into the place whenever he wants. this guy definitely knows how to work it. no notable star sightings. just wannabes and socialites.
 
but i'd already had my awe-struck moment of the night. after that, no actor comes close.
 
tonight i'm seeing sylvie guillem and her world-famous extensions. rock on.

6 people who played with me:

Blogger omar said...

I've been around a bunch of athletes, who are similar to actors in their uselessness. I felt similar awe when around Bill Clinton last year. I didn't comment on his looks, though.

10/13/2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

well, at least you didn't say that she looked prettier on tv.

10/14/2006 1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know where you're coming from - I've been there...

http://woffle.blogspot.com/2006/10/meeting-next-president.html

Never mind, NEXT time you see her you'll know exactly what to say.

10/14/2006 6:45 AM  
Blogger Robert W Neill Jr, Land Broker said...

I liked your story about meeting Hillary. I put a link to it on my blog robwire.com

10/14/2006 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is classic met Bill once when I was 16 dad was a secret service guy it was funny I think Bill was in awe on how huge I was and I was in haw on how huge he was so we there we were looking at each other thinking damn he's a big mofo. Then when we were leaving I walk right into Al Gore knock every file under his arm into the air and like a moron I attempt to help him pick them up

10/17/2006 4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? Hilary Clinton? Bleh. I'd rather vote for a shoe.

10/18/2006 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home