Tuesday, June 21, 2005

reason #633 why i love new york

Today was the first Bryant park movie of the summer. The Way We Were, with the love of my life, Robert Redford. Bryant park is a small park in midtown and people just pack in with blankets and snacks from whole foods or pizzas. The man said there were 10,000 people there tonight but I don’t see how it was possible, though I’m not gonna lie, we were like sardines. You have to be a tightrope walker to even manage the tiptoeing to get to your friends in the middle, if you can find them at all. Luckily, my friend J’s roommate M had time to get there early and get a spot (which entails getting there and waiting for the park to open at 5 and then making a mad dash with your blanket unfolded and trying not to get trampled). Thank you M! they always show a Warner Bros. cartoon first, and then they show this clip that I never see because I’m too busy dancing. You see, for those in the know, the ritual is for everyone to stand up and jump up and down whilst waving the arms back and forth above your head like you’re at a concert or rave or something. We all look ridiculous and I giggle at myself the whole time I’m doing it, but it has to be done people. I don’t want to be the spoilsport (wow, spell check knows that word but not blog, go figure).

It was a perfect evening, a little chilly, but I was so happy to be there. It’s one of my favorites and I haven’t seen it since long before I moved here. I didn’t realize how much this fine city is featured in it. I love movies that take place in new york. and did I mention that Robert Redford is nearly the hottest man ever? Okay, okay, to be honest, I’d put a young Paul Newman ahead of the pack (and gotta find a space for gene Kelly…my god, those shoulders…but I digress). Don’t tell Robert though, I’d hate for his feelings to be hurt.

Tomorrow I’ll be at the Yankees game for all my stalkers out there. I’ll be sitting in the bleachers wearing a Derek Jeter jersey. Come say hello and introduce yourself! I’ll be in the famed “bleacher creature” section 39. it’s always so much work though (they love to call out a players’ name until they turn around and wave. You get so caught up in their stunts that you miss half the game).

Off to dream of Robert and Derek…man, i’m getting wet already…

16 people who played with me:

Blogger glo said...

So hard to get last minute tickets to NY...

6/21/2005 1:27 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

I can agree with as much as Robert Redford and Paul Newman are two of the greatest actors of all time and I’d say that Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid is one of the greatest movies of all time.

I’m planning on going to a Yankee game myself while I visit. I look forward to rooting both teams on to a loss. I know it’s not possible, but a kids gotta dream.

6/21/2005 1:45 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

nothing beats movies in the park.
hope you had bug spray, though.

6/21/2005 3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to go to Bryant park Movies every week after work! I usually went with my co-workers! We used to eat our Cosi sandwiches. Also, I love The Way We Were! I saw it on TV sometime last year, it made me tear up!

6/21/2005 3:57 AM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

I was just in NYC this weekend...someday maybe I'll finally make the move. It would be cheaper than visiting every other month.

6/21/2005 8:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

NICE! I like Derek also-- well more precisely his A$$ -- hope you're sitting in the section that's gets a good view of the batters' butts.

6/21/2005 11:02 AM  
Blogger omar said...

Ugh. My wife is all about Derek. I'm pretty sure she has more pictures of him than of me in her office.

6/21/2005 11:26 AM  
Blogger jac said...

I am a bloody forigner.

6/21/2005 2:47 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hmmm, there's something similar going on up here in the mountains too. It's called movies on the rocks... or something. But it's at Red Rocks ampitheater (come on... all the great bands have played there!) and it's going to be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I, unfortunately, must work. Oh, what a world.

6/21/2005 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love NYC.

The information given in this comment does not constitute legal or professional advice or opinion, and should not be relied upon for any commercial purposes. It is provided solely and exclusively for general, non-specific personal enjoyment, and to advise the reader that the commentator has nothing better to do.

6/21/2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Mmm... stalker bait. Now that I know you'll be there, I'm going to the game too. Keep your eyes open for me. I'll be the guy with the beer helmet and the blood-covered chainsaw.

6/21/2005 11:34 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Please tell me the blood is from the yankees.

6/22/2005 1:10 AM  
Blogger Nadia said...

Speaking of stalkers, Syar and I are planning on putting your tips to practice (just practice, mind you, before we have our own Gavin encounter) this weekend at a Joey Lookalike Contest. Ha.

P.S. Gene Kelly: good call! :)

6/22/2005 2:20 AM  
Blogger lucasjackson7 said...

You're so lucky to have movies outside in the summer. In New Orleans we would all die of West Nile by the time the cartoon was over. Thankfully we have Summers at the Saenger. This Friday is Citizen Kane. I plan on getting my balcony seats with friend and pronouncing ourselves Waldorf and Statler. Post the summer movie schedule if you get a chance, Jazz. I'd like to see the lineup.

6/22/2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

i need to google this derek jeter guy, his name conjures up deja vu. you saw my list! i was quite happy about that. i'm happy i enabled comments too, i wasn't aware they were members only. I loved sleeping beauty's once upon a dream. and the prince is divine. is it wrong that i crush over a painted and animated character from a fantasy fairy tale?

6/23/2005 2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like such fun. I'm jealous!

7/03/2005 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home