Tuesday, May 10, 2005

reason #589 why i love new york

i just saw the rolling stones play a free concert down the street from my house. i can die saying i saw a rolling stones concert. heck yeah!

so i was walking to my final law school exam (i kicked ass, btw), and i heard music. it was 9am and there was a sound check rocking through the lincoln center. i didn't have time to stop but when i emerged three hours later there were tons of "Rolling Stones" banners hanging all over the place and a crowd was starting to congregate. it was mostly business people on lunch and there weren't all that many people there, considering the last time they went on tour 60,000 seat arenas were selling out in minutes. i called a friend who works at NYC Ballet who looked it all up. they were having a press conference to talk about this summer's tour and they played four songs. Mick was looking skinny in a lavender long sleeved shirt. Keith was wearing a neon yellow scarf. why, keith, why? My best friend from college went to orlando bloom's new movie premiere (said hello to him, in the bathroom no less, but then he got pee shy. hee!) and orlando was also wearing a scarf. bah.

so yes, a free stones concert on a sunny 78 degree perfect day in manhattan. you all must come and join me! this city does not disapoint.

i also did not fail that exam. i got a B- which, i'd normally be upset about, but today i celebrate!

on a sad note, i have a fish. i'm not one for fish but my mom got it for me. its one of those self sustaining systems. you have a plant that grows in water, stick it in a vase, put beta fish in, it lives off whatever grows off the roots. it's impossible to kill these things. but i think mine is sick. i just changed his water and he's been strange and floaty since. still alive, but bouyant, which for a fish, is not good. i sprinted to a pet store to pick up some stuff to stick in his water. am hoping he'll make it, but things are grim. his name is hobbes. when i bought him and tried to put him in the vase, things were looking good. i was slowly tipping the water into the vase. slowly..slowly...and then all the water came rushing out, the balance tipped and the fish flew out the bag, over the vase, and onto the stove. he landed in that groove that the metal grates sit over. i had just cleaned it so no gross crumbs or anythin, thank god. so he sat there and flapped. my roommate, S, and i looked at each other wide-eyed. in a split-second i grabbed him up and tossed him in the water. we held our breath as we waited to see if he'd swim. and swim, he did. phew! S is british, and those burners on the stove are called hobbes over in england, so we had a name.

so i have another 15 pages of a paper to write by thursday but my goal is to finish by wednesday night. chug chug chugging along. this is the home stretch people! huzzah!

and also, please note the link in my list for Superhero Andy, fka Intern Andy. he's back, i missed him. i think that deserves another huzzah. HUZZAH!!!

16 people who played with me:

Blogger NWJR said...

Phhhhhhht.

I'm jealous.

Phhhhhhhht.

5/10/2005 4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who are the rolling stones?

5/10/2005 10:10 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I sooo want to live in New York. Can I stay on your couch until I get set up?

5/10/2005 11:17 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Wow... free Stones concert. Lucky, lucky people...

I'd just want see it for the experience, not because I'm a fan...

5/10/2005 11:49 PM  
Blogger Scribe Called Steff said...

Ditto, what andy said.

5/11/2005 12:39 AM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

I'm sooooo jealous!!

Good luck with the paper BTW.

5/11/2005 1:33 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Look, there’s nothing wrong with a shy bladder. Lots of people have them…

On the fish, Do not give up. I repeat, Do not give up! My roommate had a very similar situation, he floated on his side for several months. The stuff you get at the pet store can help, but even if it doesn’t, give it time. Several people told her to flush him and put him out of his misery, but he never looked miserable to me, just awkward. I convinced her not to flush him, and after several months of that, for no reason whatsoever, he regained control of his air bladder or whatever, and now he continues his life in a very normal fashion. I wouldn’t really worry about him until he stops eating.

5/11/2005 1:41 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

hobbes has already proven himself to be a fighter. as the proud caretaker of several plants that have withered away to nothing and then made a grand comeback, i have faith in hobbes.

5/11/2005 3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw something about the Rolling Stones on the news but I didn;t listen to it! I love the upper west side! I love Columbus avenue!

Good luck on the paper!!

5/11/2005 5:36 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Never did like the Rolling Stones, although I admire them for their talent and longevity.

Keep working on that paper...it will be done before you know it and the drinking shall begin!

Great story about how Hobbes got his name. I thought it would be either after a comic-book tiger or old world philosopher...

5/11/2005 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. Nice blog. I just got here from some weird blog-fight you and someone else were having with someone.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more.

5/11/2005 3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I remember my last law-school exam. Did you find yours as anti-climactic as I did? Knowing I had the bar, kind of made the whole thing less real. It wasn't my last exam, it was just my last exam in law school.

Good luck on the bar. If I can pass it...

5/11/2005 3:49 PM  
Blogger Quycksilver said...

Good luck on the paper, the fish and all the rest you've got goin' on . . . but how cool to stumble upon the rolling stones just walking down the street! That could never happen in LA, but that's largely because no one ever walks anywhere . . .

and just cause,
HUZZAH!

5/11/2005 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool... I met this dude the other day who was a roadie for the Stones back in the day... I wanna party like they all do when I get that old!

All of the very best!

5/12/2005 3:36 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

You lucky stiff, I'd give my left nut or a kidney to see the Stones play live.

You know it's a wonder those betas live as long as they do. I imagine if I had to chill in my bathtub all the time - the same water I eat, shit, and piss in, I wouldn't last a NY second.

5/12/2005 3:11 PM  
Blogger glo said...

Still jealous. Really, your blog may be bad for my mental health.

I lived with my aunt during college. We killed 4 betas in our time together. We kept doing what we were supposed to do, but the fish kept dying. It's a traumatic memory...thanks again, jasmine ;)

5/13/2005 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home