Wednesday, April 23, 2008

voicemail from my grandma

"jasmine, i wanted to tell you if i didn't, that i really like your
hair and i thought you really looked very very nice. very attractive.
and really you seem to be pretty much in control of your weight and
everything. so anyway i wanted you to know i did think you looked very
good and i'll talk with you another time, bye bye."

i wasn't sure to make of this. i haven't lost much weight (if any)
since i saw them at christmas but i, apparently, looked like shit.

i will note, however, that my mother and my aunt are both fairly heavy
(think hefty/burly german women). and my grandma is pretty thin (and
quite conceited). she speaks frequently of being only 89lbs when she
was married which isn't possible since she's 5'6" and i've seen
pictures and she doesn't look anorexic in them and she'd have to be
like "ethiopian starving" thin to be that size at her height. so maybe
she's desperately afraid that i'll blow up or something in adulthood.
well, maybe the half-chinese part of me will keep me normal looking.
also, the gym.

but anyway, weird message. but i've never argued that my grandmothers
behavior approaches anything that resembles "sane".

2 people who played with me:

Blogger Peter said...

It's the "pretty much" part in front of "in control of your weight" that makes it gold.

The art of backhanded compliments makes up the first three chapters of the grandparent handbook.

4/23/2008 7:53 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

in my experience, any compliment from a mom/auntie/grandma, no matter how backhanded it might end up being, is so rare that you just have to accept it and let it make you feel happy.

4/23/2008 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home