Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I have no sympathy

for these guys. none whatsoever.

5 people who played with me:

Blogger Cousin said...

They (the firemen) were on Bill-O yesterday -- not an articulate bunch.

That said, having campaigned for Kerry in 2004 in the rural Midwest, I can tell you that Dems have a real tin ear on this issue. One theme I heard over and over in talking with "red state" voters went almost like this "you may be right on the issues (the economy, the war) but you miss the point: you don't respect us. Your tv shows are filled with sex starting at 7AM. You don't just want us to tolerate gays, you want us to trash our Bibles and embrace them as acceptable. Well guess what: there are more of us than there are of you and it's payback time." Karl Rover played this vibe perfectly. In 2006 there was an almost 5% drop in the GOP vote among self-described evangelist Christians. In part that was because of the war, but it was casued by incidents like Dennis Kuo and the feeling that Bush might not really be one of them. Look at the number of close races in 2006 where that was the margin of victory.

Once I drove a couple of gay volunteers from Chicago out to IA and they were very in-your-face about their sexual orientation (one was decked out in gay rights buttons). I'm sure they lost more votes than they gained.

"They're going to make you march in a gay rights parade" will play well in certain areas.

Eyes, prize.

8/08/2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger Cousin said...

Er...I meant 7PM (One person cited an episode of Friends and a certain Ross/Rachel scene involving a milk carton...)

8/08/2007 3:35 PM  
Blogger jazz said...

Cousin: you completely miss my point. this isn't a partisan issue. it's that i live every day of my life on the receiving end of gross sexual comments from men and the one time men are on my end, walk in my shoes, they are all over the papers about it!

do you have any idea how many times i've been catcalled by a fireman? countless. seriously...

8/08/2007 3:38 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Nobody ever harasses a plumber.

It's not fucking fair.

8/08/2007 3:39 PM  
Blogger Cousin said...

Jazz: OIC. If they win, maybe women can recover whenever their job requires them to walk by a construction site. Definitely a known hazard! Seriously, I sympathize even if I can't empathize.

Peter: I cursed a bottle of Drano once when it didn't cure my kitchen sink clog. Oh, wait...

8/08/2007 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home