Tuesday, July 24, 2007

spoiler-free harry potter post-mortem

the book was a pretty emotional one for me.

a good 4/5ths of it was so dark and gloomy that i found myself in an irritable mood all day sunday because i'd spent the morning in that darkness. i was depressed. is it normal for a story to have such an effect on someone?

i loved dumbledore. i really really did. i was happy to have had him be a big part of this book. i really missed him.

the end took turns i'd never imagined, which i loved. i was fooled by rowling a few times, so good on her!

obv, some characters died i didn't expect. some also lived that i had put a deathwatch on immediately after finishing book 6.

however, the last 20 page or so, the epilogue she stuck there, i absolutely could not stand. i thought it was cheesy and unnecessary and frankly, a bit over the top.

what did you guys think?

also, for a very charming list of obituaries for those characters who lost their lives in book seven, check this. spoilers, obv.

and on an unrelated note: the youtube debate last night was pretty cool. i thought this answer from edwards was perfect. it highlights something that makes a lot of people suspect about obama. obama talks so much of compromise but never talks about how, occasionally, compromise isn't the answer. there are some people who aren't going to budge, some people who don't want to work with you. people want to know that he's going to stand up to the few who refuse to work with him.

8 people who played with me:

Blogger omar said...

Re: Harry Potter, GAG.

Re: the debate, I actually watched some of it last night. I love the answers given by the candidates who don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, because they're way more honest. Like the first part of Biden's answer to the gun control question here. No way Hillary or Obama or Edwards would have said that.

7/24/2007 12:48 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I forgot to ask you yesterday about your final thoughts on the book.

7/24/2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

I believe the end to be functional more than esthetically pleasing. That's all I'll say.

7/24/2007 4:34 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I couldn't disagree with you more on the ending, Jazz. Maybe it was a bit cheesy, but it was ABSOLUTELY necessary.

You don't write a children's series for a decade and then end it without a true resolution. That book without the epilogue would be like dangling even more carrots over the readers' heads. Plus it was just really cool to read.

She answered all the questions, and I think people call it cheesy only because, compared to the rest of the series, it's very light. But read it again. There's nothing different about the style or characters, it's just light-hearted, which it obviously should be.

I'll never understand any complaints about this book. It was, in a word, BRILLIANT. It was all I hoped it to be and more.

7/24/2007 5:10 PM  
Blogger Swipe said...

I agree with former intern andy. it is a children's book and the cheesy ending was exactly what the doctor ordered.

7/24/2007 7:25 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

I feel the same way about the ending, but I appreciated the cliche. I kind of wish there was like a prallel ending thing, where you could choose the ending you wanted, but if she had to pikc one, I guess I'd rather this than another gloomy one.

I felt the gloom too, didn't help that I finished it at 2 on Saturday and then the rest of the day it was grey and raining.

I was surprised by the deaths too, and she started quite fast. One thing I love was the pacing. No more dawdling, just straight into it.

7/25/2007 1:41 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

cheesy as it may have been, i don't think it could have ended any other way. it was a smart move, too, because she did enough two-answer/contradictory moves to prevent people from not reading it because they knew the ending. and it was a payoff for all the time we spent watching the characters suffer.

personally, i was satisfied.

7/25/2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger blossoms_stoned said...

My housemate's just onto the 6th book and she got REALLY depressed that Snape turns out to be bad. I am only on my third... taking it slowly and enjoying every single page of their magical journey!

7/25/2007 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home