Friday, March 09, 2007

a memory? of an event?

i'm sitting somewhere. or am i standing? i can't quite picture it. and i'm talking to a man with whom i'm familiar but don't know too well.

and we're having a conversation that feels more comfortable than it should because we've never really had a conversation, just the two of us. and he's talking about his job? and he says something that surprises me and i'm imagining a dark place, trying to put a thought to the image in my head. trying to connect the dots and find an association.

"we're like canaries in a coalmine," he says, finding the words that my thoughts were trying to lead me to.

when discussing his job he knows it's a strange situation, which is why he wants to smile, but that it's not ideal, which is why the smile goes no further than a grin.

and i laugh, impressed by his simile, or is it a metaphor? i forget which is which...no matter. i'm impressed by the connection he's made to himself as the canary and his job, the coalmine, because i don't perceive him as being particularly bright, or insightful. and it wasn't an obvious association.

and wisps of this conversation float through my head and i can't remember whether it's one i've actually had or whether it is purely a figment of my imagination.

7 people who played with me:

Blogger Peter said...

Coooool.

Heart of a poet...

Chest of a rock video vixen.

3/09/2007 10:43 AM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

It's like Deja Vu...

Just the other day I was in a home that I had never been in before. A friend is renting it. And he walked to the garage, to show me it.

For a brief moment I saw the inside of the garage before he opened the door. And when the door was opened, it was EXACTLY what I saw in my head... Down to the color of the walls, which were actually painted beige instead of just the usual white. It creeped me out, and I felt weird for the rest of the day.

3/09/2007 12:15 PM  
Blogger Neily said...

The scent of a new relationship is enthralling. Step outside your door. New York. Another day, another opportunity.

3/09/2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

oh my god, you hallucinated that the guy worked in THE DUNGEON and he did! freaky.

3/09/2007 12:53 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

It seems to me I had a similar conversation just the other day

3/10/2007 5:49 PM  
Blogger Nadia said...

This is strange to me. I don't think I've ever not been able to place a memory before. I've been told I have a mind like a steel trap.

Or was that Syar? I forget.

3/10/2007 8:12 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

Stop stealing my compliments, woman.

What he said is a Fall Out Boy lyric. That's all I gleaned from this.

3/12/2007 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home