Monday, June 12, 2006

my summer vacation


welcome to mexico!! we drove a few hours down from my mother's house outside of l.a. to the baja peninsula and stayed just between rosarito and ensenada. a lot of crazy artists move down there and live in mobile homes on the beach. the artist who built the house above modeled the house on a girlfriend with whom he broke up before finishing his house-size ode to her. and so here it sits, empty and unfinished. weird.

here are a bunch of old-fashioned ringer washers that another artist painted to look like cows and put horns on. aren't they cute?


in downtown rosarito we found un poquito barrio where we stopped at a beautiful little restaurant and had some of the best food i'd had in a very long time. but mainly, i found it to be kinda dirty and way too touristy. the people selling their wares in puerto nuevo were not nearly as rude and aggressive as those in the downtown area. they offered up homemade tequila (don't try it) and were selling bowls (for the smoking of the marijuana) and offered free refills. "here ladies! let me show you something you don't need!" "people, come buy something, i'm hung over!" "we got some mexican rolexes here! mexican chanel!" it was funny, i'll give them that much.


and we spent some time on the beach although, as you can see, it was pretty overcast this day. but in all, it was some quality bonding time with my mom, brother and his girlfriend.

i also went to south carolina for several days with work boyfriend. we're still on shaky ground and there are so many ups and downs that i can barely be bothered to give my friends all the rundown, much less try to type it all out for y'all. i will say that we're past the point where he's in such a hole that everything is all his fault and i'm putting in some effort of my own to meet him halfway with things he needs and i hope he brings up his end. his parents live on this golf course and are the loveliest people. however, it was hot as hell and 18 holes of golf (even if i was just riding around in the cart chasing down the beer cart half the time) was not the most pleasant thing ever. but the course is beautiful. and they have a boat on the lake and we spent an afternoon motoring though it catching some sun and swimming.

also...i got a new job! so i've been a little distracted with that. i'm making way more than i was at my last job, the hours are really flexible AND i get to wear jeans everyday. can i get a huzzah for casual attire? huzzah! however, everything about this firm is unbelievably swank. located in the terribly fashionable soho area of the city, i find myself looking up from my computer and feeling like i'm in one of those "law office sitcom/dramas" where everyone looks like models and nobody looks like they're miserable and pulling 100hr work weeks. a place like this shouldn't exist. but it does. and i work there. but i've never felt so goddamn unfashionable in my entire life. it makes me feel like i need to invest in a new wardrobe. not to mention it makes me feel like i can't wear jeans lest people look at me and ask, "who's the frumpy little new girl?"

curse you attractive and fashionable new co-workers! curse you!

13 people who played with me:

Blogger Wags said...

huzzah for casual attire!

6/12/2006 11:48 PM  
Blogger SJR said...

So then, will work b/f now become... 'Where I used to work b/f'? heh.

6/13/2006 4:02 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

so that mess by her head (in the first photo) was supposed to be the hair?

congrats on the new job, but it sucks so much of your paycheck will go toward keeping up with the crew.

6/13/2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

1: Mexico looks like it was fun. The boob-house is a bit weird, but the beach pfoto is really neat.

2: Congrats on the new job. It sounds like a great place to work.
And don't act like the fashion race has you upset... I can't name a woman who doesn't love the excuse to go out and buy new clothes "for work." Hell, I'm addicted to Ascot Chang shirts, and Mezlan shoes, and I'm a STRAGHT GUY. (What can I say, I like nice shoes and shirts that fit well. Bespoke is the way to go.)

3: Speaking of shopping, I will solicit advict in the comment section.
I'm thinking of getting someone from work a birthday present. We aren't really friends, but she has bailed me out of some serious shit (all work related) and I wanted to get her something nice. I was thinking a nice purse. Coach or something. Not ridiculously spendy, but enough to show I cared. Good idea or bad?

Stormin

6/13/2006 7:16 PM  
Blogger Nadia said...

Jazz dear, I have a snowball's chance in hell of living long enough to hear anybody of sound mind using the word 'frumpy' or 'unfashionable' to describe you.

Huzzah! Congratulations on the awesome new job!

P.S. If you have a young, hot James Spader look alike, please let me know. I have a lot of free time on my hands right now, and I'm looking for money and someone whose briefs---briefings to handle.

6/13/2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger glo said...

So glad to work in the public sector where Kohl's is still considered the height of fashion...

And I'll take James Spader at any age and in any fashion.

6/13/2006 11:45 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm so jealous. I want to take my vacation in the shadow of ginormous boobs too.

6/14/2006 2:15 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

I love that naked woman house. Just saying NAKED WOMAN HOUSE makes me giggle in a way that should be illegal.

NAKED. WOMAN. HOUSE.

6/14/2006 2:29 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Hope there are some HNT-in-Mexico pictures coming our way..

6/14/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you rock!

6/14/2006 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New jobs are always nice. Congrats. I guess he's not really a work boyfriend anymore. . .

6/14/2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

HUZZAH for vacations, casual attire and all the good parts of this post. and yes, curse those models who aren't models.

so many changes, glad to hear from you again. as much as I liked that green dress, it was disturbing to see that and only that for what, two weeks?

welcome back! aain, HUZZAH!!

6/14/2006 11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I NEED A VACACION SOON! Look at the boobs on that statue! Holy boombas!

I used to work in SOHO...gorgeous place to stroll around during lunchtime.

6/15/2006 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home