Thursday, November 17, 2011

plastic money

i love this. vietnamese dong (get your giggles over with, immature person!) is also plastic with a little see-through window. so neat, also perfect for those people who wash clothes with money in their pockets by accident. or even those who wash their money on purpose because it's dirty. (are there people who do this? that would be weird, yet smart! because money is filthy).
 
when colin and i spent that week on a sailboat in turkey, we swam to this little beach bar with money shoved in our swimsuits and when we paid they hung all the bills on a line with clothespins to dry, as everyone who came to the bar had to swim to get there, for the most part.
 
have put together an itinerary for myself for south america because i'm stopping in 5 cities and have 5 hotels/hostels that i'd want to have contact info for and some have airport pickup while others don't and some i've paid a deposit, and i needed a ticket to get into machu picchu and also train tickets to get there, etc., etc., so it became, easily, too much for me to keep in my head and far too much info to keep straight in my little planner that i carry around with me.
 
the downside to this is that now i feel as if my trip has no wiggle room. it feels regimented in a way that is so unlike the way i prefer to travel. i prefer to wander aimlessly. i prefer to have days to just peek into obsure neighborhoods. but the best restaurants in lima require reservations in advance, same with santiago, so i've pinned some of that down.
 
so i'm prepared, if not a tad constrained.

2 people who played with me:

Blogger Syar said...

I think Malaysia introduced plastic money very very slowly over the past decade. Like, we had one plastic bill (the 5 ringgit note) and now...actually, I think that might still be the only plastic note we have? Weird! I remember my sister's Bruneian (sp?) friend showing us the magic of plastic currency by making a cone of of Bruneian money and filling it up with water. 13 year old me was amazed.

PS: I laughed at "dong". I'm not ashamed.

11/17/2011 8:10 PM  
Blogger omar said...

You said "dong."

11/18/2011 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home