Tuesday, January 27, 2009

unemployment, broken keys

So I'm in a bit of an unemployment stint and enjoying it thoroughly.
Sleeping late, working out a ton, catching up on doctors check ups,
making long, leisurely dinners from Emily's Tyler Florence cookbook.

Basically, not working is glorious and my determination to win the
lottery or find myself a nice sugar daddy has been renewed.

Swimming is getting better. I'm breathing on every fourth stroke which
feels more natural. We've been doing a lot of lifting which means I'm
sore in parts of my body I didn't know I had. It's a good pain though
and I pretty much love it.

Have almost finished all real estate textbooks and meeting with my
broker friend later this week. He also has someone who owes him money
so I think I get to sue someone too which will be interesting. I'm not
sure how to do it all but the brokers father in law is a retired
attorney and had volunteered to take me through it all.

Finally sucked it up and got a new York state license. Needed one
before I could get my brokers license. It was painless. Not as
painless as my trip to the DMV in SoCal, but close.

The return/enter key on my laptop has broken. It is pretty much the
most annoying thing in the history of annoying things. I can't gchat.
I have to save emails as drafts and then go in through my phone to
enter line breaks since you can't use HTML codes in gmail. It's all
rather inconvenient. Also, good motivation for me to finally replace
said laptop with a MacBook. Maybe a pretty silver one!

3 people who played with me:

Blogger omar said...

I had a broken space bar once, but that was more unusable than annoying. So yeah, I guess a broken return key would be worse.

Mmmm, MacBook. Buy one.

1/27/2009 8:09 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

unemployed with no gchat? that's bad.

1/27/2009 11:47 PM  
Blogger Cousin said...

Word of warning: beware of unstructured days when unemployed. My experience, which I have had confirmed by a half-dozen others who have been unemployed for extended periods, is that after the first month the days pass by incredibly fast: you have all these things left to do and no time to do them even though you have "all the time in the world." Deciding to start on another degree part-time at night school re-booted my job search and within a month I was *too* busy working nearly full time and going to school at night!

Other tips: if you haven't applied for unemployment insurance yet, do so asap. Pro bono legal work is a good thing to say you're doing (if you aren't temping) in interviews. And, forgive the tough love, you could buy a bunch of decent used laptops on craigslist for the cost of a new macbook. I know, sorry :-(

1/28/2009 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home