Wednesday, January 07, 2009

fiction, credit, swallowing water, kitchen toys

when i'm behind in new yorkers (which is something i always am) i usually skip the fiction. sometimes i feel bad about that. most times i do it without regret. but kudos to this guy who makes me feel like it's okay and who also points out the ones i should stop back on when i have time (who knows when that would be).

i got an e-mail today: "congratulations! your revolving credit line has now been increased to $49,500!" seriously people? seriously? you really think giving people credit lines that their salaries don't support is a good idea right now? also, i could give a shit since i have an american aadvantage card which doesn't count towards my credit rating anyhow (they don't report credit limit increases). so poo on all that.

got some hunter rain boots and LOVE them. in all caps! perfect for the rainy-ass days we've been having as of late.

have been helping emily get her registry together. i'm jealous. is it wrong to want to get married just so i can fully stock my kitchen? i want a complete le creuset set. and a kitchen aid mixer, and a good cuisinart. and some bob kramer knives. also, a bigger kitchen to hold said items would also be appreciated. kthxbye.

my first swimming lesson with emily went okay. i've discovered why i've never been a good swimmer and also why i'm the best doggie paddler ever, i have a big thing against putting my head under water. i swallow water, it goes all up in my nose, i'm constantly afraid of breathing before my head is all the way turned, my throat starts to burn. so basically, i have a lot of work to do. emily is a fantastic teacher though and had me do walking laps with my head down practicing breathing on all my 3rd strokes. when i go to breathe i keep lifing my head out of the water which is difficult, unnecessary, and makes swimming 10 times for difficult than it needs to be. but i'm going to get nose plugs and see if it all feels any better.


4 people who played with me:

Blogger Wags said...

All the coaches say breathe every third stroke, but even when I swam competitively I rarely did it. I never got comfortable breathing on my right side so I either breathed every 2nd or 4th stroke.

1/07/2009 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That New Yorker link is great.

1/08/2009 6:44 AM  
Blogger Cousin said...

It's easy to catch up on New Yorker fiction -- just skip all the big name authors they genuflect to and read the lesser known ones who got published on merit. If that billionth Updike story is any good, you'll find it in Best American Stories at the end of '09.

1/08/2009 1:01 PM  
Blogger Syar said...

What colour boots did you get? I want a pair too, the tropics have been crazily rainy lately.

I don't know if I'll ever figure out why I suck at swimming. I suspect it might have something to do with balance? Does that have anything to do with swimming? Eh, I float okay so I'm good.

P.S : I've got a new blog up. It's at http://fiddlersgreen.wordpress.com. Come on over when you have the chance.

1/09/2009 3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home