Friday, February 15, 2008

random tidbits

first, me and my valentine, the iphone, went to dave and busters with the gays. it was so much fun. am i a huge loser if i actually kind of like that place?

i forgot to mention it (or i've been suffering from complete denial), but in my immediate NEED to start using my iphone and the swiftness with which i canceled my plan with verizon...i didn't save my voicemail from brian williams. i'd meant to record it and save it as a wav. file but didn't get around to it and it wasn't until the at&t woman was saying, "now, don't forget you'll lose all the info from your voicemail in 5 minutes" that i almost shrieked in horror at my loss. but i did get to listen to the message a dozen times and all my friends listened to it too so it got pretty good mileage in it's all too brief lifetime. still a bit sad it's gone. but then i glance at my pretty pretty iphone and don't feel so bad.

also, i called verizon to settle up my tab. turns out they owe me money and are sending me a check. sweet! i guess they charge in advance when they bill you.

my friend craig was profiled on a citysearch blog. awwww...isn't he cute?

the memorial service for my professor was lovely even though i cried through the thing. pretty and i went out together because pretty was his teaching assistant. we always wondered how many languages he spoke but he'd never say. didn't want to brag i guess because his sister said it was 7. and i suspect she's forgetting one or two. she spoke about the time he brought her to the holy land (she is a nun and he was a preist with a doctorate in islamic studies) and as they were all being searched as they crossed the border, he was speaking both hebrew and arabic to the government authorities on each side of the border. she also told a story about how when he was little, his mother brought him to see the ugly duckling and that she had to leave early with him because he'd turned into a sobbing mess. "why didn't anyone love the ugly duck?!?" he wailed. and then she brought him to the toy store where he rummaged through all the stuffed animals until he found the ugliest one to take home to love. i'd always thought it was strange that their parents had two children who devoted their lives to the church, thinking that maybe the family was just THAT religious, but no. turns out their parents got made fun of plenty for not being very religious at all, compared to the paths their children ended up taking. the one thing that can be said about father don was that he made everyone he came into contact with, a better person. there isn't a person living who shouldn't aspire to be a little bit more like him.

saw atonement. stop reading here if you don't want spoilers. first, i'm definitely in love with james mcavoy. he reminds me of a crush i had long ago. but i couldn't really stand the movie. i was not invested in his and keira's "love" and all the war bits just bored me. i really considered napping a few times. also, what kind of freak lies to the police about an innocent person raping someone just because she was jealous of her older sister bagging the man she liked? i mean, really, this girl was meant to be smart. then she turned evil for no real reason. and the ending? "oh, but it's all better because i came out and professed in a book and now they can live happily ever after even though they both died unhappy and apart." bitch!


3 people who played with me:

Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

Holy Crap...

That's like the longest post from you in ages.

;-)


Now that we got that Valentines Day shit out of the way, bring on the St. Patty's Day!

2/15/2008 3:51 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

I enjoyed that movie review.

I find it hard to watch anything with Keira in it because I spend half the movie thinking, "That broad is entirely too skinny." Only Johnny Depp in eye liner can distract me. For some reason.

2/15/2008 10:25 AM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

that is EXACTLY why i absolutely HATED the book. how could she possibly atone for all that she did? it was a load of boolshiz if you ask me. and the writing was all that, either. too flowery for my taste. as you can tell, i'm still pissed about that waste of my time.

i totally know how your prof felt about the duckling. i was the only person who stuck up for this girl in elementary school because she was being ridiculed for no good reason and she turned out to be a very good friend until i moved away.

2/15/2008 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home