Wednesday, February 13, 2008

iphone ruminations

first, i spend a lot of time looking at it longingly. i would imagine
that this is also how i'd be if i had a baby. the "i can't believe
that of all the people in the world, you belong to me! and i love you,
you cutesy wootsy little amazing darling!" type feeling.

second, i have fat thumbs. the keyboard won't recognize a thumb tap to
save my life. i'm now an index finger typer, which is weird because i
always kind of hated index finger typers.

third, i'm a lot less popular than i thought i was. there's nothing
like having 24/7 access to e-mails to make you feel like you don't get
many. it's a much nicer feeling to not check all day and then have
some 40 messages sitting there at attention for you.

fourth, i'm torn about my choices in ringers and wallpapers. i like
them all. and then i remember not to torment myself about it much
because i keep the thing on vibrate always and nobody hears the damn
ringer and the wall paper is something i only see while i'm sliding my
cursor to unlock the phone.

fifth, i'm a polishaholic. i'm constantly wiping little stray
fingerprints off of it. which makes me not want to touch it. but i
MUST touch it because it's so fun to play with!

sixth, sam didn't give me a manual with it. i feel utterly lost
without a little booklet to read from cover to cover. what?! you don't
read the manuals that come with your gadgets? it's okay. nobody does,
but me. i'm that loser who always reads her manuals like a good girl,
learning the intricacies of her digital camera even though she doesn't
know anything about lighting and exposure and half the functions i'll
never use. but hey, at least i know they exist! that counts for
SOMETHING, right?

seventh, there's something liberating about re-vamping my contacts
list. just choosing not to add to the iphone the people that shouldn't
have still been in my old phone. people like, "john the pastry chef"
who has since moved back to ireland. or jarvis that club promoter
whose number i'm not sure why i have.

7 people who played with me:

Blogger Peter said...

Wallpaper: picture of me

Ringtone: Welcome to the Jungle. (As sung by me. Not really. Althooooough...)

2/13/2008 7:34 AM  
Blogger omar said...

I could probably whip up some script to send you email once an hour every hour, if that would help.

2/13/2008 8:03 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

omar: Could the e-mails be descriptions of pictures of me singing "Welcome to the Jungle?"

2/13/2008 12:32 PM  
Blogger Wags said...

the iphone doesn't come with a manual. i was a little surprised when i got mine, but i guess that is apple just telling everyone: our product is the simplest thing in the world to use. so if you need a manual, don't use our product.

2/13/2008 1:43 PM  
Blogger omar said...

peter: Definitely! Except that until I see such a picture, the emails would be more like a description of what I think a picture of you singing "Welcome to the Jungle" would look like, based on your profile picture.

2/13/2008 3:26 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

wags beat me- no manual, but you don't need one because there are how-to videos on the apple website.

and as a voice of experience, don't lick your iPhone in public. people don't like it, no matter how delicious and sexy a device it is.

2/13/2008 8:43 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I was annoyed by the streaking on my iPhone's screen, until I got a protective cover from this place (http://www.invisibleshield.com/). For like $30 you put this invisible covering over it, and the result is a screen that is just as bright, brilliant and touch-sensitive, just far less prone to streaks. I guess you could describe it as a sort of "mat" effect. Anyway, just my two cents.

Pete

2/15/2008 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home