Thursday, October 11, 2007

swag!

i am the first person to acknowledge how lucky i am when it comes to getting free things. i know the right people, get free tickets to the right events and am always bringing home fun gift bags.

so on saturday i stopped by new yorker festival headquarters where i got a gift bag because i used a citi mastercard to buy my tickets. random. but the bag had a cute long sleeved t-shirt, a book of cartoons from the magazine, a gift certificate for some fancy pants make up store (where you probably can't find anything for less than $60). hershey's chocolate and that new cd with all the joni mitchell covers (which has a song from my beloved sufjan!).

the headquarters itself was swag city. banana republic was giving away water bottles (with BR labels) and black and white cookies. acura was giving away zagat guides. chevron was giving away compact fluorescent lightbulbs (i took 5). they had nyer cartoonists there with huge pads doing cartoons on demand ("my daughter likes penguins, can you do a penguin one?") and would hand it off to the requester when they were done. i had them sign my new book which contained cartoons by the cartoonists there. it was super fun and there was NOBODY there. they need to advertise that shit more next year.

then i head to brunch where i meet up with two friends (one at a major magazine and another with a television network) and they are always bringing us presents. one of them whips out those teeny ipod shuffles (seriously, it's smaller than a pack of listerine strips. crazy!) in a mint green color. love it. then the other friend whips out a ton of cds (timbaland, amy winehouse, maroon 5, rihanna).

rock on.

4 people who played with me:

Blogger omar said...

I got one of the tiny shuffles for Christmas last year. It came in VERY handy on my San Fran trip this summer.

When I read:
"and am always bringing home fun gift bags."

I saw:
"and am always bringing home fun bags."

And I giggled because I thought you said "fun bags." Then I realized you didn't.

10/11/2007 10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jazz, you are so very entertaining. And you write so well. You're a natural! Thanks for laying out all the important details yet again. It's the next best thing to being there. You go to such cool parties and events.

10/11/2007 11:41 AM  
Blogger ian llorens said...

No more crowds since you do not show your skin. Fortunately, I am only interested in your mind.

10/11/2007 8:58 PM  
Blogger The Stormin Mormon said...

Not bad...

I just cleaned up at the company golf tournament. Four different gift bags from different suppliers (I think I now have eleven thousand bottle openers), some cool prizes that shouldn't be free in some of them (tiny bottles of wine in three of them).

And then, won the "best loser" award for finishing in last (hey, I played with a torn ACL). A magnum of Chateau Margaux... Hell, I'm going to duff it every year.

10/12/2007 4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home