Friday, May 07, 2010

ISO: SWM, mac genius, sense of humor, democrat...and some random food linkage

i've had some computer problems. i honestly thought i was going to wake up with white hair the next day, i was so freaked out. i made a frantic call to apple care and got a guy in oregon who talked me through a few hard rebooting procedures. he was calming and re-assuring and i found myself wanting to ask him to dinner. i seriously think my next boyfriend is going to be a mac bar genius. there's something about a guy who knows his way around a mac that gets me hot and bothered. and there's nothing like computer problems to make me feel all damsel-in-distressy and completely helpless. anyway, the oregonian made me a genius bar appointment and i was able to get a new hard drive for free because the one i had was known to be a "troubled" hard drive, which would have been nice to know from the beginning because maybe i'd have been more diligent about backing all that shit up in the first place. i hadn't backed up since october. but, thankfully, all my pictures from africa were in my idisk and all my music was downloaded for free from other people's idisks so most of what i lost i was able to get back. c'est la vie.

(randomly, some homeless person started speaking french to me. i responded with what little french i know. that was a mistake. he followed me around for 3 blocks because he thought i was his french soul mate. and on that note: scary!)

remember that amazing clip of david chang going to piece of chicken, getting wasted, then going to frankies? another installment from vice tv. this one with andrew carmellini from locanda verde. luke ostrom is there too. he may be one of the best looking people i've seen in person, next to nigel barker, though i suspect he'd much rather be less pretty so he could avoid the attention. my favorite part is AC talking about how he would have brought cheaper wine had he known they weren't going to open what he'd brought. that happens to me all the time. though, drinking all my good wine by myself at home doesn't sound like that healthy of an alternative. and i relate to not feeling that the job he was doing was good for his soul. in fact i'm looking to leave the legal profession altoghether. is this risky? SURE. is it liberating? YES. am i terrified? CERTAINLY. is it still probably the right thing to do? i hope so. i'll be 30 this year. i deserve to have a job i enjoy. something that feeds my soul. i'll work through my savings and if i run out of money, there's always stripping. kidding! (not really.) oh! and the video mentions 100 layer lasagna. i am so getting george to hook some of that up for me next time i'm at del posto. 
 
 
 
i got a lobster roll from the underground lobster pound. those things are really decent. he tells you to text him from a random street corner. he'll text you an exact address and you pick it up from the windowsill of a ground floor apartment. it feels very dangerous and 007. the roll is $14 and it's just huge chunks of tender lobster in some butter and old bay. no mayo. an excellent roll if you happen to be in whichever neighborhood he's selling from. 


beauty from alex balkBut there was something about this photo that, for me at least, captured the absolute perfection of living in New York City, even when it's pouring—especially when it's pouring: the way the lights brighten the corners and the thickness of the air carries with it some strange hint of promise that something surprising and worthwhile will happen to you if manage to brave it out. Everyone has a sense of expectation on the evenings where it is beautiful and there's a smiling face on each passerby, but there's something about an artificially brightened rainy night in New York that offers up an entirely different suggestion of potential for those willing to chase it down



0 people who played with me:

Post a Comment

<< Home