Thursday, October 16, 2008

linkage: raisins, choice, obama's writers = comedy gold

andrew sullivan posted this.

which reminded me of these guys whom i fucking loved.

this is moving as hell...

what i wouldn't have paid to be at the al smith dinner. ben smith's recap below...

At the Al Smith dinner at the Waldorf in Manhattan, where the candidates are expected to roast one another, both do.

Obama was a bit harder on his rival, and perhaps also on himself.

"There is no other crowd in America I'd rather be palling around with," he says. "Can somebody tell me what happened to the Greek columns that I requested?

Also:

"Contrary to the rumors you may have heard, i was not actually born in a manger, i was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the Earth."

And:  "I punched a paparazzi in the face on my way out of Spagos. I even spilled my soy chai latte all over my Shih Tzu-- it was really embarrassing."

Mocking McCain, he started with his age, addressing the grandson of the former New York governor for whom the dinner was named.

"I obviously  never knew your grandfather, but from everything Senator McCain has told me, the two of them had a great time together before Prohibition," he said.

He also mocked the houses: "This crisis has been eight times harder on John McCain."

And the GOP: "Whoever would have thought that a cross-dressing mayor from New  York City would have had a tough time winning the Republican nomination? Tough primary you had there, John."

Obama also included a shot at Fox before a gracious passage on McCain and serious words on the financial crisis.

"Fox News accused me of fathering two African-American children in wedlock," he said, turning again to McCain. "Is fox news included in the meida? Because i'm always hearing about the love..."

McCain, who spoke first, also had the crowd in stitches at times.

He mentioned that Biden had claimed that Joe the Plumber isn't rich enough for a McCain tax cut.

"What they don't know is that Joe The Plumber recently signed a lucrative contract to handle all the work on all seven of [McCain's] houses."

"I can't shake the feeling that some people here are voting for me," McCain said. "Nice to see you, Hillary."


3 people who played with me:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would have been amazing to attend. Kind of a palate cleanser after all the unpleasantness.

10/17/2008 7:18 AM  
Blogger omar said...

I watched the videos of the speeches this morning. One of my faves: "As many of you know, I got my name Barack from my father. But what some of you may not know is that Barack is actually Swahili for 'That One'."

10/17/2008 8:39 AM  
Blogger Cousin said...

Later that day he posted a link to Gaye's legendary Star Spangle Banner (from an NBA all-star game in Detroit sometime in the 1980s).

Oh I dunno, Obama has endorsed a couple of Hillary's primary proposals he dissed at the time(e.g., 90 day foreclosure moritorium) -- imitation is the sincerest form. Now if he'd just make Bill Secretary of State...

10/17/2008 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home