Wednesday, November 01, 2006

kiss the babies, shake the hands, call the grandparents

sidenote: those unhappy with content lately can find some patience. election is in less than a week people. i live and breathe this stuff. the big ones only happen every two years so suck it up.
 
it's called retail campaigning.
 
giving personal attention to as many people as you can. usually includes greeting people at subway stops, etc.
 
i'm doing my own retailing. i'm calling all my relatives and friends in states with close races to beg for votes.
 
grandpa:  hello?
me:  hey, grandpa. i'm calling to remind you that election day is next tuesday
grandpa:  oh, we know honey. we always vote!
me:  yes, old people do that.
grandpa:  hey now, be nice!
me:  well i like tammy duckworth grandpa.
grandpa:  she's a bum! they're all bums!
me:  you do know she's a war veteran with no legs, right?
grandpa:  i'm a war veteran! she's milking it for more than it's worth.
me:  easy said by someone who still has both his legs.
grandpa:  what was that?
me:  nothing grandpa.
grandpa:  i'm voting the green party.
me:  i don't think the green party even has someone running in the 6th grandpa. is grandma there?
grandma: hello?
me:  hi grandma! just calling to ask if you'll vote for tammy duckworth...
grandma:  well i haven't made up my mind yet. i'll wait to see what sunday's tribune has to say about it.
me:  well, you know this is an exciting time, right? a big shift in the congress grandma, because people are unhappy about how things are going. you know even ohio is going to be pretty much swept by democrats even. maybe aunt max and uncle paul have switched over too. you know, it's good that people are finally starting to notice that maybe the fact they can't get jobs, the economy sucks and the education system is going to hell is more important than some of the religious stuff they're always so stuck on.
grandma:  well, yes, i think you're right.
me:  well i like tammy duckworth grandma...
grandma:  well, i'll probably do what you say dear. i trust you.
me:  thanks grandma. love you!
grandma:  love you too dear. talk to you later.
me:  tell your sister i'm calling her over the weekend. she has a tight district race too...

2 people who played with me:

Blogger Joe said...

"yes, old people do that?"

You're a bad, bad granddaughter. Come here for your spanking.

11/01/2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger cadiz12 said...

things are really heating up here in the sixth. there got veterans supporting roskam. how does that make any sense? smacks of swift boat if you ask me.

11/02/2006 1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home